Friday 29 January 2021

From SimonG: Soviet Steel for The Armoury (55 points)

Rather than paint another fantasy figure, or a plated knight for the Armoury I here offer up the pointy end of my Cold War gone hot Soviet GSFG force -- a Guards T64B tank company.



Once again these are Timecast 10mm pieces from their Cold War '84 range. Nice resin bodies with metal details and some very nice touches such as the indent for the gun barrel opening, making drilling the barrel out a cinch. Other things are more bothersome, in particular the top mounted machine gun that needs clipping at the back to sit comfortably. Overall though very nice pieces and they look the part.





Soviet armour is rather boring colour scheme wise so I elected to include the Guards Insignia on the IR projector. Initially I made up some tiny (1.5mm diameter) transfers but these simply fell apart when I tried to apply them. So I instead hand painted the designs, Im pretty pleased with how they came out -- interesting how you can abstract a design down to a couple of splotches and still have a good sense of what it should be. The numbers are also hand painted. Once again I'm using my numbering scheme for three troops of three tanks plus the command vehicle. The lettering is sequential with my BMP company and with other support vehicles I'll get too later.








So another 50 points for my total -- ten 10mm tanks at 3 points each plus 20 for the chamber.

12 comments:

  1. Great looking tanks Simon! Your hand painted guards insignia adds some much needed focal point. So I'll award a few points on top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick -- the added bonus is much appreciated!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, I’m pleased with how this project is coming along

      Delete
  3. Great looking Soviet armour!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, soon be on to the British and I’ve sprung for an airbrush to help with the camp (plus I wanted to try one out anyways 🥳)

      Delete
  4. That’s a great bunch of Soviet armour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, just ready to roll across Central Europe next!

      Delete
  5. Great looking tanks, Timecast 10mm stuff is really nice, top marks for extra detail
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Ken, they also have excellent customer service, initially they forgot the Main guns with these guys but sent replacements super fast when I noticed

      Delete