Friday 12 February 2021

From JamieM - 28mm German grenadiers (35 points)

I’ll admit to being a teensy bit terrified about this submission..... you see, I’m almost exclusively a grim dark, fantasy, superhero, post apocalyptic, spy fi type chap who doesn’t really do historicals. And this is a historical post. To a blog where there are loads of people who know tonnes about historical wars and things. And I don’t....... But herewith find my submission anyway - some metal WW2 German grenadiers from warlord games that were fun to paint, especially the brilliantly expressive faces.

Whilst researching these, I turned first to the internet. I was confident that the internet would tell me the right colours to use, so imagine my surprise (and horror) to learn that the internet couldn’t agree on the correct colour scheme!

Deciding to carry on regardless, I sort of took a flier at something that I thought was about right for generic grenadiers from what I could gather from all of the sources. These chaps were so common (and kit seemed to change around fairly often) that I figured I’d get some things wrong (what colour were radios in WW2? What colour were the canteen lids? What’s the colour of the big ammo box that one of the chaps seems to be reaching into?) but that they’d look alright in total from three feet away.

The camo is mostly copied from an artisan miniatures painting guide and the officers coat is supposed to be based on a rubberised motorcycle outfit that appears to have been pretty popular for soldiers to grab when they could (not just for motorcycle riders), but I think I’ve gone a little bit too green with it as it should be an off white colour. I think.

I’ve relied entirely on warlord to provide gear that is consistent (probably the western front?) and also used an actual paper book from my shelf to help me once I realised that the internet couldn’t supply an easy solution.

Anyway, these fellas should net me 35 points for 7 28mm figures and be useful for chain of command and bolt action.





15 comments:

  1. Well,these look great! An actual paper book too! In a way you can get away with more in late war as it's all a bit of a mess,but very nice figures!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work Jamie, welcome to the historical side. The frustrating time spent looking up uniform colours is the research that either drives us nuts, or if you’re like me keeps us coming back for more. The big thing is that regulation uniforms are never regulated on field! As long as the unit looks good as a group, like yours, your good to go.
    FYI last challenge Curt had me take the journey in the opposite direction and do some 40k stuff for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent stuff Jamie - well done! It is infuriating when "the Internet" doesn't give us the info we are looking for, isn't it? Excellent work, and I look forward to your first sufferings of painting some vehicles for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Internet hah! You spoiled snowflakes. Back in my day we had to walk to the main library and take lousy Xeroxes of the relevant pages of the few uniform books in the reference section.

      Delete
    2. With no boots through snow knee deep no less!

      Delete
  4. Wow! This post totally took me by surprise - absolutely wonderful work and bravo to you for venturing past your comfort zone Jamie. I think these look fabulous and I love that good ole analogue sources came to the rescue. :) If you ever plan to work on any of these again I heartily recommend checking out the blog of our very own Nick (minion of the day no less), as he has several terrific colour guides for all manner of WWII figures.

    https://moitereisbuntewelt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blimey, good shout and what a treasure trove of tutorials! I’m now working my way through them to see what I can use for my next projects.....

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the mention my friend ;-)
      @Jamie: Don't hesitate to ask should you have any questions. I'm not always right, but always have strong opinions...

      Delete
  5. Well I think you've surpassed yourself Jamie and I'm very pleased you've moved away from the Dark side and into the Light.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to the wonderful world of WW2 wargaming. I might say the queen of historical wargaming periods. And no I'm definitely not biased... never!
    Anyway, that's quite an excellent first take on WW2 Germans. I'm rather sure any other nationality wouldn't have cost you half as much head scratching ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done for stretching yourself Jamie. I think they are very fine and the basing really sets them off. Even IF (big IF!) some of the colours are not correct as issued, things fade, get dirty and even get repainted to how can they be wrong? Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done! I'm not one to quibble over the precise shade of olive...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice one Jamie, welcome to Historical figures 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete