Friday 12 February 2021

From DrQ: Princess Malya for Sarah the Sorceress (25 points)

Looking at the map, I realize I need another bit of teleportation to get from the Hall of Heroes to the Laboratory. To that end, I've painted up another female model from my backlog: Princess Malya, a Relic Kight/Super Dungeon Explore crossover from Ninja Division.


I've had this model in my bin for a long time, largely because don't particularly like the sculpt. The plastic is quite cheap and bendy (the axe refuses to stay straight despite many hot water dips). Their are awkward mold likes across key pieces of detail. It's a bit too cheese-cakey—I gave her a proper top, but not much I could do about the hot pants. And, of course, why does she have FOUR EARS?!?!

I tried painting for the Quarantine Challenge last year, but eventually stripped the paint and started over. I try to make my Super Dungeon Explore models match the card art, and getting light skin and pink armour to play well together has been very hard.



This time around I made my own magenta contrast paint using Citadel's contrast medium mixed with magenta acrylic ink. I also use some white contrast and the hexwraith flame for the crystal glow on the base. All in all, the paint scheme works good enough for a model that I've never been too in love with.

As far as points, there's five for the model and another 20 for the challenge.

Now off to the laboratory where I've got some terrain that take the are both literally and metaphorically.

15 comments:

  1. Very well done! The figure turned out nicely despite your misgivings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you've done a lovely job on her, she looks great !
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. She looks fine- but I keep thinking she's playing hockey...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a weird weapon. I was completely unsure how to highlight it.

      Delete
  4. I think she looks great. I love the versatility of Citadel's contrast medium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really nice! I've been getting into acrylic inks lately with glaze medium, but this is the first time I tried to mix my own contrast. Worked pretty well!

      Delete
  5. Cool looking mini. Sadly bendy plastic is an issue with some companies, still the model looks good regardless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ninja Division is pretty inconsistent with their plastics. They've got some really nice pieces, but then their are pieces like this one which are barely better than the original Bones minis.

      Delete
  6. Haha! The Princess does look like a rather fierce field hockey Captain!

    I love the colour scheme ,in particular her blue/white dreadlocked hair is pretty groovy.

    I should also mention that the figures for “Sarah Sorceress” are outstanding in their variety and I am really enjoying the variety being presented. well Done ❤️🧙‍♀️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great colours on this cool model 😎
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks much. Just following the box art here as close as I can.

      Delete
  8. Another cute figure Dr Q, well done for preserving through. As four the four ears, to quote the big bad wolf, the better to hear you with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I've seen some conversions that gave her a headband for the bunny ears, but I'm really not sure if that's what's going on with the model.

      Delete
  9. she's certainly very colourful, great paintjob!

    ReplyDelete