Friday 12 February 2021

From ByronM - Hatchery, Ravens, and a Ship (60 points)

I have a real mixed bag for my submission today that includes some ravens from Mierce Miniatures, a 3d printed Frog lady from the Mandalorian, and a 3d printed freighter for Cruel Seas.

First up are the ravens from Mierce miniatures.  These figures are really well detailed, even though it's hard to tell due to the colour of them.  Mierce does some amazing sculpts, so if you haven't looked at them yet, check them out, I will warn you though, they are expensive, not as bad as GW pricing, but pretty damn close.  They are so nice though I could not help but pick up a viking force, and these are the first unit from that force.


I painted these figures entirely with oil paints so that I could get a nice blue/black effect, and blend back and forth without worrying about drying time.  In person they have that iridescent blue tint that real ravens do, but it only kinda shows in the images.  I also highlighted the wing tips way more than they should be in real life, but it was the only way to not have them just look like blue/black blobs.

Next up is a figure for my return to the chamber of challenges, for the hatchery.  This is a 3d printed version of the Frog Lady from the Mandalorian show, complete with her container of eggs.  

I tried to paint eggs into the blue area, but they just kept looking like polka dots, so I eventually gave up and just left the container blue.... Maybe baby Yoda finished them off as a snack...  I plan to use this figure as an objective in Star Wars games, maybe both sides are trying to get the caviar!

She is pretty basic, but that is because I was trying out some new paints.  She was painted entirely with the new Scale75 contrast paints.  Which while interesting, I think is only really usable as base coats to setup for more detailed work with regular paints on top.  But they are another tool to have, and they came in a fancy wood treasure chest.

Lastly is a freighter that I 3d printed for Cruel Seas.  The game comes with a card stock token for use in games but it looks really lame next to all the other ships as miniatures, so thingiverse to the rescue and bingo, one freighter.  Well, actually 2 as Curt asked for one as well because its too big to print on the older resin printers, but I have one of the larger format new ones, so there is one here for you when we next get to game.  The print came out ok, not perfect as the model had some issues, but a little greenstuff and it was good as new.

I painted it up pretty simply, and looked up a name of an ill fated freighter from WW2 to name it as, and then glued in some brass rod as the mast and antenna and called it done.

This varied array of figs should work out to roughly 60 points.

I say roughly as I am not really sure on points. Sure the birds are technically 32mm figures, but are smaller so I counted the 5 as 4x28mm = 20 points.  The frog lady is 35mm so 7 + 20 for the hatchery bonus = 27 points. The Freighter is at least 3 times bigger than the other Cruel Seas ships, but is pretty basic so I put it in as worth 2 of them so 12 points.

15 comments:

  1. Excellent work Byron! I'm rather taken by the black/ blue feathers on the ravens. Definitely looks like the real thing. As for the ship, would it fit on a Photo build plate when angled?
    Anyway, nice job as well and a rather fitting name I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, very happy with the ravens and oil paint experimentation continues, more to come before the end of the challenge. As for the ship, no, i dont think it would fin on the original photons or mars size printers as they are max 155 high and you loose about 10 of that for support, so even at an angle you cant quite fit it. I have the new photon mono x and printed 2 side by side flat on the print bed as it has a 2x larger bed. This one is the same size as the card stock one and is about 180mm. I think the larges Curt could fit and make it on the smaller ones was about 140-145, which is still ok, just not full size.

      Delete
  2. Nice looking ravens, frog lady looks good and I really like the freighter, much nicer than the cardboard token!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. The freighter and frog lady are great, but those ravens are exquisite. Very finely detailed, and sure to bring your vikings good fortune.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous work Byron. I'll echo many here in saying that those Ravens steal the show. Beautiful work with oils. AND thanks very much for printing that freighter for me. Another treat to look forward to once we get out from under covid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, I'm glad everyone likes them. I always find it hard to work with black and not have it look grey, so this was a very nice change.

      Delete
  5. Nice work on all of these minis. The frog lady looks spot on to the TV series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the subtle highlights on the raven's feathers- really well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, I like the Frog Lady .... I hope Baby Yoda wasn’t too h7ngry and let her an egg or two ... 🐸🐸

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great group of figs 👍 love the Ravens
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work Byron!
    I don’t into a vampire myself...but hey, whatever works...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job on those birds Byron. I have a tone of mierce minis from their previous kickstarters but still a bit too intimidated to try my hand at them yet. Want to do justice to those amazing sculpts

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent work all around Byron, but the ravens steal it for me. Not having watched the show I wondered why toad lady had a coffee urn on her back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. All great stuff here B. Love the ravens (gonna check out Mierce right now), Frog Lady is awesome, and 3d printing is magic!

    ReplyDelete