Tuesday 9 February 2021

From SimonG: In Honour of Curt's First Submission - A PigMan for the Orc Pit (27 points)

Inspired by Curt's very first submission, and bringing back memories of the pig-faced-orc Army I used to own 40 years ago I offer the following delightful pig man!





Once again this is a Black Rose Wars/Novo Aetas 38mm PVC figure from Ludus Magnus Studios and like the harpy he again seems to be in service of the Madonna (how odd?) -- painting her face was one of the most enjoyable parts of this paint job. He's a good 38mm tall but almost as wide and certainly that deep!



Overall this was an exercise in working flesh tones, which is certainly practise I needed. Thankfully he's not complete anatomically but I'll spare you a shot of his undercarriage! He does seem to be a bit of a dandy with his spiffy hair so I hope the colours I chose do him justice.




I did start off trying to use my brand new airbrush and had some success blending different tones but soon reverted to more traditional brush techniques.  I did however have success using the Vallejo Model Air paints applied via brush as their super milky consistency made them very easy to mix and blend to get smooth gradations. I also learned the value of a deep purple for outlining and shading -- a great lesson!




Once again lots of fun painting in ways I would not normally try so thanks again to the Chambers of Challenge for pushing us out of our normal comfort zones.





I think that adds another 27 points to my total which is getting surprisingly close to my target. Maybe time to finish off my 10mm GSFG force next so I can move on to the Brits (airbrush time again for that camo scheme)

15 comments:

  1. Great painting, never seen such a character before. For some reason I find his enormous navel just below the madonna a little unsettling....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also unsettling -- his bondage outfit, his massive pair of balls (luckily I didn't give you a close up shot), his multiple chins, the joker mouth, does he have tusks? I could go on! But thanks for the feedback on how he turned out!

      Delete
  2. That's quite the Ham on the Hoof there Simon. Disturbing but very cool. I like how the Challenge forces us to do some weird-ass figures. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carl -- I think mature boar meat is pretty unpleasant so suspect he won't be turning up as breakfast anytime soon!

      Delete
    2. Oh, and I scored his a 'cavalry' for a few extra points. :)

      Delete
  3. I might need mind bleach after this post! He looks great and would be most unsettling to face on table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Peter, but I guess that means the model is scary as intended 😝

      Delete
  4. Grotesque and disturbing but very well done!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, he looks a bit sun burned to me

      Delete
  5. Cool looking mini, the purple worked well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was surprised how well it worked.

      Delete
  6. Squeal like a pigman! Repulsive stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks, need to mix up the pretty and the gross to see all life had to offer 😝

      Delete
  7. Thats quite a disturbing model 😳 great painting
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete