Monday 21 December 2020

From Curt: Welcome to Challenge XI!! - A Classic Pig-Faced Orc in Honour of The Chambers of Challenge (5 Points)


Welcome to the XI Annual Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge!

Yes, yes, I admit it, I stole a march to get this entry in, but as per tradition, I like to kick off the season with the first submission to the Challenge. In addition to welcoming everyone to the event, it also allows me to be top dog for at least an hour or two before being turned into a speed bump by the faster painters.

As a nod to our dungeon theme, here is an 'Orc with Guisarme' (Orc1) from the venerable 1979 Minifig range, sculpted by David Hutchins. 

Yes, he's a real old school classic. This figure was originally from a group of twelve that I had ordered with our first set of D&D books and dice, directly from TSR out of Lake Geneva. 

When I finally received the figures I was so impatient to have them painted that I used my dad's nasty automotive paints (no primer!) and 'brushed' it on using some of my mom's sewing needles. Yes, very primitive, but you can't fault the pure enthusiasm of youth.

Here is the last remaining orc of that cohort. As you can see, almost all the paint has flaked off over the years. It took several hours of rummaging through containers of random bits to find the original hexagonal shield. I did snoopy's dance of joy when I found it.

A certain charm. The archivist in me was torn whether to paint this guy or just leave him be.  

As historical background, the original concept of pig-faced orcs is usually attributed to Dave Sutherland, who was one of the main illustrators for TSR in the mid to late 70s. His work on the cover of 'Swords & Spells' (1976) is probably the first imagining of the face de cochon orc.

That same year The Brothers Hildebrandt also produced a painting of the capture of Merry and Pippin by orcs. Who influenced who, I'm not sure, but the idea took hold for those formative years.


TSR continued the porcine depiction of orcs in their 1977  Basic Set and the 1st Edition of the AD&D Monster Manual (I can't look at this book without getting misty, recalling a younger me pondering the weighty questions of which monster had the nastiest stats, the best art, the most treasure, etc.)

Orcs in the AD&D Monster Manual

...and from the D&D Basic Set


While the style of orcs have changed over time, certainly with the dominance of Games Workshop and Peter Jackson's movies, good ole pig-faced Orcs are still 'canon' for nostalgic old school D&D geeks like me. I love 'em. Oink.

I decided to repaint this guy in a fairly natty armoured hauberk, with bronze for his helmet, shield edge and boot banding. 


In a nod to Games Workshop I went with classic orky green for this skin tone, though now I wish I had gone with a dark flesh instead. Maybe I'll try that with the next ones I do. 


Fans of these types of orcs will be happy to find that Otherworld Miniatures has an entire range of re-imagined snouted Orcs available. I hope to have a few of these done for the Challenge later.

Hmm. I just realized I should have done this entry for the Orc Pit, but whatever. This little gem was calling out to be given some attention. I think I may revisit this theme over the coming months to see what else I can dig up from the archives.

_______________________________


Okay folks, I expect to see an avalanche of painting over the next few days as we head into the holidays. I will be updating the points roster between gulps of eggnog and bites of shortbread. In two weeks I'll be handing the reins over to our intrepid band of Minions. 

Let the fun begin!

Curt


63 comments:

  1. Awesome first entry and a history lesson for RPG players too.
    Despite it's advanced years, that pig faced Orc would still look great on any gaming table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart! He's a bit of a lumpish porker, but like all figures, benefitted by having a few licks of paint on him.

      Delete
  2. great start, right breakfast and then painting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin. A Full English for you? Even though it's a little after midnight here I could go for one of those right now.

      Delete
  3. Lovely old school D&D orc,the orc of my childhood and basic games of D&D,splendid finish, here we go!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, I thought you'd like this vintage greenskin.

      Delete
  4. Great first post Curt and a lovely way to get the Challenge going 👍🏼 Sadly 7am coincided with the start of my work day ! 18.00 ETP (estimated time of painting)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ken! Work hours aside, I know you'll be amazing us with your entries soon enough.

      Delete
  5. Lovely old-school orc Curt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Proper nostalgia... My origins in miniature painting are D&D and the famous Red Box set. My earliest painting was equally 'unique' with enamel paints and big brushes. I'm looking forward to the trip down memory lane in the Chambers of Challenge as I dig out some really old figures from my collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I look forward to your upcoming old-school minis Lee!

      Delete
  7. Smashing first entry! I joined the gaming scene a little after the pig faced orcs, so always interesting to get a bit of history in these porcine baddies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You young whippersnappers don't know what you missed. At the time I think there were only a dozen or so ranges available and some of the castings were, well, interesting to say the least!

      Delete
  8. Iconic start to the Challenge, Curt. Though I'm always miffed when gamers reminisce about the startup of D&D in their childhood. I was doing my PhD on folklore in 1976 when I first stumbled across those three strange little books in the New Model Soldier Shop in Sheffield. I loved the pig faced orcs. You must certainly paint more during the Challenge - nostalgia no longer being what it used to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes, nostalgia is a bit of a double-edged blade, isn't it. It's nice to look back, but then you need to be old to look back! Did you use any of the D&D books in your thesis?

      Delete
  9. A great old school figure to start us off. He's the same age as you little sister. Great start Curt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't say I've ever forayed into the fantasy thing, but I seem to recognise most of the stuff. Son is a 40K fan which shows what little influence I've had over him.
    For the Challenge, I'm following the tried and trusted 'nick of time' principle which means I'm about to start cleaning and undercoating some gear. It's this unrushed, Devil may care attitude which has got me where I am today, so be warned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! You're not alone in your strategy. I'm a big fan of the 'everything will come together brilliantly at the 11th hour' approach. :)

      Delete
  11. A rousing start - who doesn't love a pig faced ork? Loved the history lesson. Best of luck to everyone in Challenge XI!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miles! Let the numbers flow into your holy spreadsheet.

      Delete
  12. Great start Curt, and cool figure. I couldn't tell you how much "study time" was spent staring at those illustrations in the Monster Manual by young me. Sigh, good times...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! I can't tell you how many times I snuck my Player's Handbook into my satchel to take to class.

      Delete
  13. Love the orc pork history lesson! Star Wars’ Gamorrean guards are my baseline, as I never got into D&D.

    Hadn’t realised how much I was looking forwards to getting underway again; tally-ho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talley-Ho Barks! Yes, the Gamorrean guards must be space faring orcs. I also think of Alf whenever I see these.

      Delete
  14. Ahh yes the memories of playing D&D for the first time in my hometown of Minneapolis in my youth are now floating in my head. I kind of remember the paperbacks, but I better remember the red box that came after and keep on the borderlands module inside. Well done on the first entry Curt!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the wonderful Red Box. How many zillion hours of imagination was generated by that simple boxed set.

      Delete
  15. Love these old minis. I have literally tenths of orcs and goblins from the early 80s sculpted by a friend of my club, to play Warhammer Fantasy Battles. Your refurbishing work is really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Benito! I'd like to see your friend's work sometime. You should do an entry with them.

      Delete
  16. Great looking (p)Ork there. Shame you don't see this type of ork too much these days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I'm looking forward to trying some of the newish castings from Otherworld Miniatures. Hopefully this Challenge.

      Delete
  17. Lovely old Minifg Curt. I can remember the slim three volume paperback D&D set before it got Advanced. Looking forward to this years challenge output.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete! I'm eager to see what you come up with as well.

      Delete
  18. Great looking Orc there Curt, can't wait to see what you do with the Otherworld figs as those pig faced orcs are some of my favourite figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are tremendous aren't they? I'm looking forward to putting a brush to them.

      Delete
  19. Congratulations, Curt. A great figure to lead us on the stealthy stalking (and blundering rampages) through Challenge Chambers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right, 'a shadowy figure scurries deeper into the Chambers...' Thanks Sid!

      Delete
  20. Great orc and lovely painting Curt - I still fondly recall the army of pig faced orcs I had as a teen back in the day. All painted shiny blue and yellow as I recall :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, blue and yellow, very nice! They must have been a tribe of those rare Swedish orcs. :)

      Delete
  21. What a fantastic read to get the juices flowing, and a fascinating history lesson for me on the origins of the porcine orc. Having got in to the hobby in the very late 90s, GW had full sway over what an orc was in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sadly GW has largely corrupted the orcs and made them silly. I like how Peter Jackson made them nasty again (though it would have been cool if a couple pig faced ones were in deep the ranks in some of the scenes).

      Delete
  22. A fine choice to kick things off Curt! I must admit my own view of "Orcs" is probably more shaped by the GW/LOTR version of them, but this is classic, just great, and it is so neat that you had this old figure around. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dude! It was fun excavating him from the old D&D figure case. I hope I can find a few more to keep him company.

      Delete
  23. I think I still have a couple of these stashed away somewhere - the ones with crossbows, I think... Wow, that takes me back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jealous!! You should paint some of those up for us to see Ev!

      Delete
    2. I'll see what I can dig up...

      Delete
  24. An excellent opening shot, Curt! I think he looks quite dashing in green, although I usually dislike any green orcs. Well, apart from GW's space orks, that is. Anyone may paint an aberration like a space ork in any colour they want.
    (mine are... well, green. Hrmpf).

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the old school figures and the nostalgia of dungeons past. Thanks for organizing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Brilliant orc, Curt! I am a fan of the old D&D orcs and he is a fine specimen. I would've used red on his attire, but the black makes him pop just right and let's him shuffle into the BBEG Black Legion of Doom! ;)
    Good assessment of the orc ranges too, the older ones have the charm and middle earth brought back the nasty...I do like the GW toothy space orks though! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much David! So happy you dropped in to say hi. I hope you can keep it up over the coming months.

      Delete
  27. Great work Curt! That's a really nice miniature to start the challenge of with! Hopefully you have more classics to show us during the challenge ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Samuli! We'll see what I can dig up from the lead archive. :)

      Delete
  28. Great start you little cheat ;)
    Never played D&D I have to admit but always found the idea of role playing intriguing.
    Do I see some VMC Russian Uniform in the skin colour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if you're amazing or a freak: Yes, the base for the flesh was VMC Russian Uniform. You're such a wonderful weirdo. :)

      Delete
  29. Very snazzy, Curt! Having caught up on a backlog of Mandalorian, I can see the inspiration for the Gammoreans!

    Look forward to more Orcses as the dungeon crawl processes.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great Orc, dude. Love to see these old castings and this really shows off the lineage of the current Otherworld PFOs :-)

    ReplyDelete