Tuesday 28 December 2021

From ChrisW - Martian cavalry + BoB tank + 2 Russian provocateurs + planetary bonuses (170 points)

Hello all!

First off let me thank Curt for granting me entrance into this august event. This is my first time participating in this event or any such event. I have very basic goals, I just want to get motivated to tackle my all too large horde of unpainted lead, plastic and resin. My self styled nickname is the unfocused gamer and I very much live up to that sobriquet as will soon become apparent by the random nature of my painting output. I suspect I may well be joining the squirrel contingent.  While I have vague plans on what I would like to paint for this challenge, and have laid out many of my items on the underused gaming table, there is not a chance that I will adhere to any plan. Case in point, the Martians were not even a thought until I suddenly decided to tackle them!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First up is my visit to the Death Star. Here we find Tanya and Lepa displaying the fruits of their great espionage. Having stolen the plans for Britain's next great tank, they have seen the plans made real by the might of the Soviet industrial juggernaut. 

Behold the Vickers Peoples Independent tank, fresh from her test trials.

Lepa on the left Tanya to the right




A thing of beauty, who cares if it "drank oil for a pastime" or that it seems that the British were not so impressed with vehicle, it is a glorious example of all that a tank should be.

So for those not in the know, only one of these were actually built, they were woefully under powered, and not functionally sound. A very questionable design...

The figures are Artizan and/or Copplestone, while the tank came from Empress miniatures. The rectangle shape on the sides of the tank should actually be an opening, not solid, but I have not yet decided how I should paint it to make it seem like an opening. For now it remains as is. There are no markings on the tank, in part because I never seem to get around to doing such things, and in part because, despite the above story I have not yet decided which Back of Beyond faction will wind up with this tank. 

28mm tank (20 points) + 2 x 28mm foot (10 points) + (20 points) for the Death Star = [50 points]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 


After the questionable success of their joint venture, Tanya and Lepa have decided to get away from it all, and take a tour of the outer rim. Sarah.s choice takes them to Vulcan, the home of logic and of pointy eared beings.

Now, the sinister troop of royal cavalry may not be possessed of logic, judging by their gauche uniforms, but they certainly do have the requisite pointy ears! These troopers plan to link up with the Empress, once she arrives and are her loyal bodyguard.


 

As a side note I had planned on painting the princess, but found that I had no suitable Martian princess, apparently Mars needs women...(sorry)

The figures are from Grenadier, that I had picked up a few years ago. They are Dark Elves I believe, but will do well as Martians and blend in well enough with my RAFM stuff. My colour scheme for Martian flesh is based on Space 1889. My colour scheme for their uniforms is the result of almost random choice of some metallic paints that I have. I did not regret my choice of colours until the 2nd or 3rd figure, why I did not switch out my choice I do not know, suffice to say it was a pain to paint, and painful to view the finished results. Thank goodness for sepia wash it brought down the hideous contrasting colours to something more manageable to the senses.  


 


10 x 28mm cavalry (100 points) + 20 for Vulcan = [120 points]

------------------------------------------------

 170 points in total for my first post


_______________________________

Haha! This is a wonderful first entry to the Challenge, Chris. Welcome to the madhouse - it looks like you'll fit right in. :)

I really like your 'Back of Beyond' sensibility with this group. That tank is an absolute BEAST! Perfect for any pulp adventure on the Outer Rim (until it breaks down, of course). I love Copplestone's minis for this genre, and you've done a fine job on Lepa and Tanya. I'm also admiring the looks of that cavalry unit. Even though they are fantasy High Elves, they fit perfectly as denizens of Barsoom. Look out John Carter!

In the future, for the sake of our Minions' sanity, please break up your posts, one for each location. Thanks and, again, great work!

- Curt

14 comments:

  1. The Martian cavalry is very eye-catching on their bright red mounts. I love that tank though, it looks like the designer had a bit of a turret fixation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s a ton of goodies Chris, welcome to the Challenge. I’ve got a real soft spot for bolshie women and that tank is a thing of interwar beauty if somewhat tin clad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love those early multi turreted tanks, fascinating as an engineer what was going on in the design teams minds (vodka probably 😆).

    Great first entry, welcome to the Challenge 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand that the lack of Martian Princesses is the cause of many intergalactic issues. Tragic really 😉

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brave choice of colour for the mounts- and it works wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work. That whacky cavalry is really something!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to the Challenge Chris! A beautiful tank.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely bolshevik heroines, Great looking Martian cavalry and a splendid tank!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work Chris! Great looking minis, especially the cavalry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice Work! Scary looking cavalry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. An excellent first entry Chris, love that tank!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely bunch of goodies! Nice work, Chris! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome aboard, Chris! That tank is wonderful and the cavalry are eye-catching!

    ReplyDelete