Tuesday 28 December 2021

From PaulSS: American Civil War Confederates (Caprica) - 142 points

I was trying to get my painting desk cleared before I started the challenge so I'm rather tardy for my first entry, but, I'm finally there.

Two small 12-man units of Confederates, I've been enjoying the Pickett's Charge rules of late so as well as rebasing the entire existing collection (yes Ken I know!) I wanted to add a few more units so I can get up to four or five brigades per side.


Of course as soon as I started painting I realised that I'd forgotten to order any standards, so an order from Flags of War is on it's way, but in the meanwhile I added some Warflag ones for these two units, will I get around to replacing them, likely not!, but all the new units I'll be adding during the challenge will be getting Warflag ones.



Both units are made up from the Perry Miniatures American Civil War Confederate Infantry 1861-65 but as I'm making multiple smaller units I also bought some additional Confederate Command frames.



I think that the Doomed theme for Caprica likely fits them well, they lost the war and under my generalship that will be doubly so, losing the war and losing the battles! 

A twenty four 28mm figures, a couple of flags and the location bonus should start me off with 142 points on the board.

American Civil War Duel Totalizer: 24 foot (142pts)

_________________________

Welcome back to the Challenge, Paul!

What a wonderful looking unit of Confederates. I've always enjoyed your brush style Paul, so smooth and precise, really beautiful work. But rebasing? Ugh. Many of us feel your pain. I hope it goes quickly and without too many mishaps. The good news is that it's all for an excellent set of rules, as 'Pickett's Charge' just oozes period feel and has a lot of cool mechanics. I look forward to the upcoming units with the more snazy colours. 

Lovely work Paul.

- Curt


36 comments:

  1. Really nice work on the Rebels Paul. I am a big fan of Warflags .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, the Warflags are nice, but a bit pixelated at this scale.

      Delete
  2. Great looking batch of Confederates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Paul, as always. If “Pickett’s Charge” is enjoyable enough to prompt you to endure the pain of rebasing a collection, I may have to check out those rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Greg, I've enjoyed the few games I've played with them, worth checking out.

      Delete
  4. A clear breach if Rule 3 there mate 😆 Lovely kick off to the Challenge 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ken, not sure of the definition though, I went from single bases in sabots to multi-basing, so, is it really rebasing....

      Delete
  5. Those are really nice Paul and have to agree with your choice of rules - in fact any rule set by Dave Brown is good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      I like both these and General d'Armee, I have O'Group ready to read too - and some 12mm Victrix to paint for that, maybe later in the Challenge!

      Delete
  6. Very nice figures! ACW was my first love...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great confederate unit, Paul... and welcome back

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent work Paul. You have really captured the blue grey. Spot in IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darrell, it's from a base of VMC Luftwaffe Uniform.

      Delete
  9. Very eye-catching pieces. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A fine bunch of Rebs and great color choices Paul!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cracking work Paul! Some nice varied tones to make the unit pop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Samuli, I'm doing the next unit more regimented.

      Delete
  12. That’s a fine looking bunch there

    ReplyDelete