Wednesday 5 January 2022

From RustyP - Fantasy Creeps on Arda (72 Points)

"Colonel I think we're done for.  I don't think this 'Arda' planet is friendly.  That big troll thing seems really irritated by your yodeling!" Rusty said to the Colonel while keeping his eyes on the aliens.

"Rubbish Rusty! My yodel is foolproof to alien species.  It has worked time an again to win native species over."  Replied the Colonel while releasing one more gawd awful sound from his throat.

Just then three goblin looking creatures mounted upon large wolves shouted a war cry & charged the Colonel's landing party.

"Everyone back to the lander!" cried Rusty.

Everyone started running toward the lander except the Colonel.  He was looking up at the sky with his finger n thumb on this chin; deep in thought.

"Gadzooks Rusty... you know maybe my yodel isn't appeasing to the natives here.  I think we should head back to the lander.

***********************************************************************************

Ok, all joking aside, these two small units were WAY harder then I thought they'd be. 😕 These two groups are from Games Workshop's Underworlds card/minis/boardgame.  Each is it's own faction and can play the game on it's own.  Which is cool cause you don't need a lot of minis to play the game.  BTW - it is a great skirmish game.  

So I really underestimated how much detail is on these models.  I mean how many skulls, coins, sacks, robes and rocks can be on one mini! 😵

Mollog's Mob - GW Underworlds


Mollog's Mob - Rear


Mollog's Mob - Side


Rippa's Snarlfangs - GW Underworlds


Rippa's Snarlfangs - Front


Rippa's Snarlfangs - Far Side View

Points Breakdown:
28mm Mounted x 3 ea @ 10 pts = 30 pts.
28mm Foot x 3 ea @ 5 pts = 15 pts.
40mm Foot x 1 ea (Mollog) @ 7 pts. = 7 pts. (he's huge but measured 40mm to his eyes)
Planet bonus for Arda = 20 pts
Total = 72 pts.

So I set out to try and use Citadel Contrast & Scale 75 Instant Colors all the way through.  Just to see if I could do it.  No way... I wound up using all kinds of paints and methods.  I could have honestly spent more time on some of the details but there comes a point where I say "That's enough"! lol

We'll see what the next planet brings.  I'm having a load of fun with this and thanks everyone for the comments.  Folks are really doing some fantastic stuff.

***
How many skulls can you put on a miniature? Never put that question to a sculptor paid by GW...
I have a similar experience with Contrast Paints and their ilk - useful for specific supporting tasks, but in no way a replacement for actual painting. Besides, you cannot argue with results, and the results here are top-shelf, very nice work. 

Greg

29 comments:

  1. Good stuff Rusty! I am a fan of Scale 75 paints but haven't had a crack at their Instant Colour range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Instant Colors are very different from their paint lines. They are very thin and take multiple coats. I like them for some methods but find them lacking for most styles that I paint. Personally I like the Contrasts better and like Greg stated neither replaces good paint! Thanks for the comments

      Delete
  2. These are fantastically wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those goblin wolfriders!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great and as usual for any GW minis, they are full of details.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work on these characterful figures. Love the troll with the shrooms growing on it. Every time I see your name tag appear on the Blog, my inner twelve year old thinks that you should probably visit the urologist....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Yeah it my inner child just hanging around. Way back with our youngest son was about 4 or so he blamed everything on this zombie thing he made up and called him “the hotdog corn zombie”. Whatever it was it was very serious to him but of course to me I found it hilarious. So I took the handle for myself.

      Delete
  6. Great stuff, love those wargs in particular

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful work Rusty. I really like the saturated colours you use on your minis. I'm a big fan of Contrast paints, but they are just one tool in the toolbox. This all being said, I'm very much looking forward to trying the new Army Painter 'speedpaint' range.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that mushroom crowned troll is something!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful work! I love the fancy "comic style" colours of the first group!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the mushroom troll .. he’s bonkers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your colors really “pop”. Excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Concise, colourful and very crisp brushwork- excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Splendid looking goblins and troll!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well as a historical Gamer I can safely say I am way out of my depth with these. The Figure with the Mushrooms on its head is mad and ace all at the same time 😁 Great Painting

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it not I’m actually a historical mini gamer. But I do really enjoy dabbling in the sci-fi and fantasy realm once in awhile lol

      Delete
  15. These awesome figures show an excellent judgement in colours. Man did you paint these up beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you. Friends have said I paint in a ‘comic style’, as mentioned above, but I really don’t know what that means. lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a fun bunch of figures!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing work Rusty! Gotta love these newish goblin and troll sculpts from GW. I'm not always a big fan of their newer designs, but these ones have really hit the mark in my opinion

    ReplyDelete
  19. fabulous brushwork Rusty

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete