Friday 11 February 2022

From LeeH - French Foreign Legionnaries in Greatcoats - (106 Points)

A couple of weeks ago I posted half of my French Foreign Legionnaires, wearing their white Fatigue uniforms. This week I have the same number of Legionnaires, but these wear the classic blue Capote Greatcoats seen in films like Beau Geste and March or Die



These were a little easier to paint than the ones in whites although I have firmly decided I should have stuck with a dark undercoat rather than white. I stopped painting with a white primer undercoat years ago because I realised any small missed area when painting the base colours stand out as something horrible. I guess I needed to re-learn that lesson with these guys. I’m happy with the way the figures turned out in the end, but the white primer made them just that little bit harder to get right. 





Next on my paint desk are some Mounted Legionnaires and a field gun, but you’ll have to wait for these. I’m taking a week off for a short family holiday during the half-term holidays. I’m ahead of where I expected to be at this stage of the Challenge, even after raising my target last week, so I can spend a week away from the brushes. I plan on visiting some of my favourite museums and catching up on some reading. 

Points:
Four units of 12 Legionnaires plus a Leader each and one spare leader, just in case.
53x15mm Foot = 106 points

_________________________________________________


Curt here. It seems that Dave's retirement from BT works both ways as he's having issues with his internet connectivity. But never fear, that's why we have a squad of Minions waiting in the wings!

Lovely work as usual Lee. Though the previous white uniforms were very nice, you can't deny the immediate 'brand recognition' of the blue Capote greatcoats - it's just such a classic look. Like you, I gave up priming in white decades ago (except for Stormtroopers), so I both feel your pain and welcome you back to the fold.  I think I'm not the only one who'll be looking forward to your return from holidays so we can see your mounted legionnaires and the field gun. Nonetheless, enjoy your hard-earned break!

- Curt

14 comments:

  1. Excellent bunch of Legionaires, Lee! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get your point, but light colours are more difficult over a dark primer. Ah, first world problems. They came out very well, shades of Beau Geste indeed! I’m quite sure I must have the Airfix desert fort and some foreign legionaries lying around somewhere up in the attic. Hmm 🤔. Great project this, Lee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find the trick is to prime black/brown and then do a quick drybrush of light grey (sometimes in 2-3 shades if I'm using contrast paints). This way you have the grey to lift lighter colours, but the deeper shadows remain built-in. Easy cheat.

      Delete
  3. Brilliant work Lee. They look pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice, Lee! Waiting for the next units.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff! I agree with a darker primer. I prefer dark brown to black.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that’s the ticket! Very Beau Geste. I am firmly in the white primer camp, but maybe that’s because I’m stuck in the 80s. But it also suits my painting style and can be found in low door versions that mean I don’t gas my family out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Philistine. Try gesso. Works a trick. Play The Clash and trick yourself that you're in the 80s. :)

      Delete
  7. Ah, the old black or white undercoat debate. White is unforgiving, but black can lead to some dull looks. Both have their merits. Either way, these look great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely work on these Lee, myself I use grey car primer undercoat for most of my stuff, more rarely, a beige one (Halfords Khaki)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice work. I’ve gone the other way now I’m using a lot of Contrast, and have gone back to white.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's Paint or Die in the Legion, and glad to see you've chosen Paint. Remarkable output and lovely to see classic Legionaires straight out of Beau Geste. Very nice.
    Cheers,
    MikeP

    ReplyDelete