Friday 11 February 2022

From MartijnN: Cruisers and Cossacks (Perelandra and back to Corsucant) (78 points)

Having left Corsucant we make our way to Perelandra. Its Oceanic theme gave me the perfect excuse to paint some of my backlog of WW1 1/3000 ships by Navwar (actually, there are not very many left now). Here are 8 Royal Navy destroyers. Six are M class (Magic, Marne, Minion (!), Mystic, Nestor, and Obdurate), one is I (or Acheron) class (Badger), and one K (or Acasta) class (Owl). All saw service at Jutland.

Magic, Marne, Minion, Mystic, Nestor and Obdurate

Badger and Owl

HMS Badger picked survivors from HMS Invincible when she exploded after a direct hit from the German Battlecruisers Lützow and Derfflinger.


Next there are five German Light Cruisers. These are Augsburg, Kolberg, Karlsruhe, Rostock and Regensburg. Two of the Kolberg class (Cöln and Mainz) were sunk at the Battle of Heligoland Bight in 1914, where the British destroyers also served, while Kolberg took part in the Battle of Dogger Bank in 1915. Karlsruhe was in the Carribean when the war broke out and did some raiding, causing quite some concern, if not actual damage, before being destroyed by an accidental internal explosion. Rostock and Regensburg saw heavy action at Jutland, where they were leader of torpedo boats; Rostock was scuttled by her crew after the battle to avoid capture. 

Regensburg, Karlsruhe, Rostock, Kolberg, Augsburg

After exploring Perelandra we return to Corsucant, in order to proceed to Vogsphere next week. For Corsucant I offer these Imperal Russian soldiers. They are 15mm Minifigs and have that special toy soldier feel to them. They were (and are) sold as Caucasian Lancers. The Minifigs Crimean War range is not very accurate historically, and whether these lancers even existed I don't know; I decided to paint them up as cossacks. The details of their dress are rather obscure, but they are good enough for me.



So there we are.

Points:

13 hulls @ 2 points = 26 points

8 15mm horse @ 4 points = 32 points

Perelandra planet bonus = 20 points

Total: 78 points. And two squirrels!


___________________________________________________

Lovely work Martijn, and what a wonderful juxtaposition in both scale, warfare and period. I quite like your Minifig 'theoretical Cossacks'. They certainly look the business to me, and I quite like the large basing you've used. What system are they set-up for? Of the two groups, my favourites have to be your WWI ships.  I have a real soft-spot for this coal-driven period ever since reading Massie's 'Castles of Steel' years ago.  You've given them such nice definition with your brushwork and, similar to your cossacks, I really admire your basing for these. 

78 points it is, but please remember to label your squirrel submissions. This will avoid the embarrassing scene of Stuart gleefully flashing you a yellow card as he did to me! :)

- Curt

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for saving my squirrel, Curt! The Cossacks are based for Volley & Bayonet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Martijn, grest to see a other badger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your ships! I admire your talent for painting the tiny Cossacks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good brushwork, but the basework on both of these is remarkable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work Martijn. Those Navwar scuplts are venerable, I did enough to run a Jutland game at a convention in the 80s. But they’ve held up and you’ve done a nice job on the basing. Really like the greenish sea, looks very cold and North Sea like.

    FYI Karlsruhe was as much as a distraction after blowing up. The Brits spent a lot of looking for her and couldn’t figure out where she went.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work Martijn. I can only assume the destroyer "Minion" was a terror of the high seas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just thought that I would share a bit of family history here….
    My Grandfather Jesse Hanks, served as a nurse aboard the Royal Navy cruiser Carnavon during the first Battle of Falklands.
    After docking in Montreal for repairs in the summer of 1915, the crew were given leave and “partied like madmen” in Montreal, thrown in jail and we’re all bailed out by the Ships Captain.
    Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Martijn:
    "Minifigs" (said in Obi Wan Kenobi voice). Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time.
    I like the way you resurrected these old Cossacks. I'm currently painting some 6mm Napoleonic cossacks and have no idea how to paint them except for some Google Images. I must find a reference book.
    I'm with Curt, I love WW1 warships, these are lovely.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete