Friday 4 February 2022

From LeeH - Tents, Machine Gun and Berber Leaders - (31 Points)

Just a small entry this week as I am busy working on another batch of Legionnaires and taking my time over them. First off are some tents bought from Debris of War. They are resin and once cleaned and primed properly were pretty easy to paint up. For a wash, I used diluted contrast paint and a final drybrush with ivory to finish the faded look of these simple ridge tents.


Then I completed a French Foreign Legion machine gun team. Aside from the gunner, the team has two other crew and a commander to direct their fire. This is a small crew-served weapon but assembling it took almost as much time as it did to paint it. The Machine Gun Tripod comes in two parts with the gun on top. The quick option would have been to use superglue, but that wouldn't have lasted long with handling, so I opted for an Epoxy Resin. However, it doesn't set as fast as cyanoacrylate, and keeping it still while it set was ''Challenging'... suffice to say a lot of cuss words were used in its construction!


Lastly, I needed some Arab/Berber command figures for the foot soldiers I painted back at the beginning of the Challenge. Strangely Blue Moon didn’t have a command pack for the Berbers, so I hunted around for some different foot figures that I could use as unit commanders. These are from Irregular so are an exact match in terms of height, although they are a bit more ‘portly’ than the other figures. 


My batch of assorted bits and bobs for this week. 




Points Scoring:
Whenever I have something to score that doesn't exactly fit the matrix I hunt through the Challenge blog to find an earlier precedent for scoring that I can use. But in this case, I'm not sure and have erred on the side of caution and rounded down... what're a few points between friends!

10x15mm Tents = 5 Points (?? 1 point each seems excessive so score these 0.5 each??)
Small Crew Served Weapon (2pts??) + 4x15mm Foot = 10 Points
8x15mm Berber Leaders on foot = 16 Points
Total = 31 Points


From DaveD

More goodness to add to your growing FFL . I will go with your maths here i think Lee . The blue on the berbers is very striking - nice job

14 comments:

  1. Great stuff, Lee! :)

    A tip when using epoxy glue - use a couple of dots of superglue to tack the item in place while the epoxy cures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain with the tripod. I am currently working on a box of Perry Zulu war British and it includes a heliograph mounted on a tripod.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blue really pops on those smaller scale guys. I have primarily painted 28mm and just started on some 10mm so starting to learn more about how important bright colours can be to make things stand out. Great job, and I love the tents as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Work love those boys in blue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a cool project Lee, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really enjoying this project. More cool stuff. Obviously the Berber leaders eat better than the rangers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking additions to your Berber and Legion project!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lee:
    Lovely to see you bearing down on this project and filling in the holes, very impressive. Now you've reminded me to look for some 6mm tents to make a Napoleonic HQ.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  9. The blue is really eye catching!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good looking progress on several projects!

    ReplyDelete