Friday 4 February 2022

From JeremyM: 10mm Chaos Fantasy [Caprica, Arda] (245 points)

 Moving on to my second painting challenge post I'm heading from the Death Star to Caprica. I have to admit that between work, winter, and covid fatigue I've struggled to get into the hobby lately. But thankfully I managed the time to fit in a decent size number of figures in 10 mm scale. I've never painted guys this small, and it was my first real kick at the can with contrast paints. They worked alright and saved time for sure, but I keep feeling like I should have done more...then again I wouldn't have completed as many as I managed in a little over a weekend!



My first figure is a little vignette for my chaos troops. Its a 3d print by Onmioji I think called 'the sacrifice' or 'the ritual'....either way the poor fellow chained to the chaos symbol is certainly doomed...just like Caprica!




From there I decided it was time to get some troops. Given the fantasy setting I think they fit in with the theme for Arda for sure. These are more 3d prints this time from forestdragon. He put 5 figures on a stand and there are 180 of the little buggers in the photos above. I managed to take the photos and then promptly dropped a couple stands on the floor. I somehow managed to find most of the little weapons that broke off but unfortunately not all. Those guys might get hidden in the back ranks from now on. It also reminded my of one of the things I hate about most 3d print resin, it shatters. I'm hoping to address that with my new prints as I've been adding Sirya Tech Tenacious (for a little flexibility) and Sirya Tech Blu (for strength) to Elegoo standard. It seems to have helped a fair bit but I'm also hesitant to really test it...if I do it certainly won't be with painted figs!


Curt had suggested trying to play these using the To the Strongest (TTS) ruleset. But I'm also aware that warmaster is still the most popular 10 mil fantasy rules. So I decided to base each figure for warmaster. I put magnets in the base and created a larger base for TTS using a 3d printed movement tray glued to sheet metal. I made sure to file the sheet metal down so hopefully little risk of cuts...although a little blood on the table when moving figures does kind of fit with the chaos theme!

And no army is complete without a general so here is a 10mm hero with some chaos warhounds. I made a 25mm circular 3d print base for him, and once again a larger 10mm movement tray with sheet metal underneath. Magnets sure make things versatile.




Last but certainly not least was likely my favourite of the bunch. Here is a female chaos sorcerer. I really liked how the contrast red and yellow paints made the fire she is summoning pop. Looks pretty good on these tiny little figures. She has the same size base as the hero above. And with her I'm hoping to hop on Sarah's yacht and head to Skaro. There are some weird robots in my future!



    185 x 10mm figures @ 1 point =                185 point

    Caprica (Doomed) @ 20 points                  20 points

    Arda (fantasy) @ 20 points                         20 points

    Sarah’s Yacht @ 20 points                           20 points

    Total                                                             245 points

                                                                                                      

From DaveD
For a first go they look mighty fine to me , they also give a real good mass impression too - great work  . That is also a decent spin around the planets too well done. 


20 comments:

  1. Great stuff! So great to see the Warmaster content during this edition of the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is outstanding Jeremy! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. En masses these look amazing, I love the vignette too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing work! Really lovely details and paintjob on such small models!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff Jeremy. They look great en masse

    ReplyDelete
  6. Splendid looking chaos force,nice sorceress!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jeremy:
    I have trouble getting my head around how many figures I'm seeing, it's an astonishing amount of work and surely one of the most impressive entries of this challenge. The bluish gray is super-effective. I think all of us have winced in sympathy at your account of dropping them. Very well done.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Jeremy! I think contrast paints are perfectly suited for these types of figures. I also like how you designed your basing to give you as much flexibility as possible for future gaming. I'm curious about this Sirya Tech product you've been trying - we'll have to chat about that sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great stuff David! I feel your pain with the 3D stuff. Some of my prints are really brittle and take extra care. I'll have to check out ForestDragon sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cracking work on this 'little' army. The sorceress looks superb.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really impressive.

    But sad Skull-o-meter noises…

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look awesome! The painting is great and I absolutely love your basing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is just amazing! Really good figures Jeremy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super. Some people play Kings of War in 10mm. Top Game.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry to hear your shattering resing experience, especially when the models look very nice. Good looking force, I would like to see more!

    ReplyDelete