Sunday 13 March 2022

From Barks: Sisters of Battle (Challenge Star)(115 points)

Oh, boy. What a Challenge from the Snowlord. I knew there was a reason I had let these figures gather dust for a few years. My miniatures are never finished, just blogged about- so here they are:


Sisters of Battle, or Adepta Sororitas, are militant nuns in 40K. I used to have the 1997 Sisters of Battle Codex (but no sisters), and sold it for a song many years ago. When GW released plastic Sisters in 2019 I was sucked back in and got a few squads. I liked the classic clean and vibrant look of the red, white and black triad, so these Sisters are from the Order of the Sacred Rose.

I first painted the Sisters Repentia, to get a feel for the strong themes in the detailing. Repentia are Sisters who seek absolution in battle for their transgressions. They have the famed Eviscerator chainswords. I don't like the sado-masochistic or mortification aspects of the Sororitas, but here we are.

Sisters Repentia

They are governed by a Repentia Superior who dual-wields neural whips. She allowed me to get to grips with the main power-armour technique I would use on the rest.

Repentia Superior

With my approach nailed down, I got to grips with the squad. The white armour was surprisingly easy with Contrast Apothecary White- highly recommended. Note the gloves and corsets are a warm white leather in tonal contrast to the cool white armour (why put a corset on power armour?!). I struggled with consistent outcomes for the black and red robes. I also struggled with blue-black silver. I like having blue tone for raven-black hair, and it stands out well against the black robes. I would like to highlight it up a bit more. I painted the heads and backpacks separately. I used 1mm plastic rod and sprue to make a painting support. Finally, I used transfers for some of the scrolls, books and robes.

I put nuns' heads on sticks so I can make them pretty.


Sister Superior

Flamer

Stormbolter

Battle Sisters with bolters

More Battle Sisters

"Behold! My skullz."

I also painted a Canoness with a power sword, Rod of Office, and bionic leg:

Canoness

The centrepiece of these ladies is this Sister, based on art by Anna Steinbauer. I did some light kitbashing to give her a tome and a combi-bolter-plasmagun. She's got this "Excuse me, some of us. Are. Trying. To. Read!" vibe. I really like this model. What do you think she is reading?



Battle Sisters. Anna Steinbauer (2013)

I'm glad they're done, but I have another 30 or so yet to do- maybe next year? They came out almost exactly as I foresaw, which was nice. But it took a lot of effort to get there. The effort-to-points ratio should not be examined...

17x 28mm figure: 85 points

Challenge XII Star: 30 points

Very efficient course, Captain.
I have donated to LSWR to celebrate

Skull-o-meter™: 80 (total 88)

Slowpainter's ABC: N is for Nunsploitation

Finally, here's a sister showing how brave she is with my huntsman lodger. 'Straya!



________________________________


Okay, full disclosure here, that last picture made me squeal in terror. You know, when I see images like that I'm okay with the nothing-can-survive-minus-a-zillion temperatures we have here. Good gravy, what a scary beastie.

Okay! Back to the task at hand! Your battle Sisters look terrific. I'm a big fan of GW's Apothecary White too, and was wondering when we were chatting about this challenge whether you'd make use of it. Great brushwork with this tricky colour combination. I also really like the extra time you spent on their faces as the models are so expressive (the blue-black hair is a nice counterpoint to the white as well).

As to the Sister with the book. I think she's reading Nosrat's 'Salt, Fat Acid, Heat'

Great work, Barks, and congratulations on making it to the center of the Challenge XII system!

- Curt

14 comments:

  1. Excellent work, Barks! :)

    btw, I suspect that those are plackarts (a piece of rmour) rather than corsets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that’s a generous interpretation, but I’ll accept a leather plackart. I’ve learned a new word today!

      Delete
  2. Whoa!
    Fearsome Females
    Truly, Bold Accessories are a Woman’s Armour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, Barks! Congrats on finishing the Challenge. These are pretty minis and your colours work well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teemu! I knew I wanted white armour and the rest flowed from there.

      Delete
  4. Awesome stuff Barks! I do love the “Excuse me, some of us. Are. Trying. To. Read!" Something tells me she isn’t reading, ‘Eat, Pray, Love.’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How to win friends and influence people?

      Delete
  5. Great job Barks! You are totally correct re: "effort-to-paint" ratio...that stat should never be checked...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job Barks, really outstanding work. The effort to points ratio should never be examined.

    There are not many fora where one can talk about putting nuns heads on sticks so that one can make them pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should get me flagged on a few cyber watchlists….

      Delete