Sunday 13 March 2022

From StuartL - Spider-Woman - Lady Sarah's Star Yacht - 35 Points

Hello again,

For my second post for the free fire period, I have painted up a Spider-Woman. No, this isn't a character from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but one from Japanese Mythology. 

The Jorougumo (lit. Woman-spider) is a spider like creature from Japanese legends that can shapeshift into the form of a beautiful woman. There is a common breed of spider over here in Japan, (and I believe in parts of the US now) known as the Jorou-gumo (or Joro Spider), that is a large, brightly coloured spider that is perhaps the origin of the myth. While the spiders do look kind of creepy, they are harmless to humans and only prey on insects. The mythological version is not as benign and lures humans to its lair to devour them. 


The model is from Reaper Bones and was fairly quick to paint up. Assembly was made a bit easier due to the flexibility of the Bones material. Each of the legs has a peg on the foot that slots into the base. If this model were made of metal like Reaper's usual figures, it would have been a lot trickier to line things up.


I will be using this model to pay for my passage on Lady Sarah's Star Yacht (I hope Lady Sarah doesn't mind a few cobwebs in the cabin), which will take me back to Solaris. I have already finished off all my planet related entries, but I had some alternative models for a few of the planets that I decided that I would paint up anyway.

Following the theme of Japanese culture, what could be more appropriate for the themes of deception and illusion than a pair of Ninja?


These two stealthy assassins are from Zenit miniatures in Spain. I picked up a big box of used Zenit figures a few years ago and I have been very slowly assembling and painting them. The figures are very well cast, but tend to be very delicate, with small connection points between parts.


So, for 3x 28mm minis I should be able to add 15 points to my total. This is also my first trip aboard the yacht, so I can claim 20 bonus points there, for a grand total of 35 points.


I hope to be back later in the week with some more minis. See you then.

___________________________

Good grief, more spiders! 

Seriously, that is a very interesting figure, Stuart, and I like the way you've painted her with the white garments juxtaposed against the creepy spider legs. I did a Jorougumo a year or so ago from the Rising Sun wargame. Very cool mythology. The Ninja look excellent as well - I especially like how you've done their black garb. Great models those.

Well done Stuart!

- Curt

11 comments:

  1. Great scuplt well executed on that spider lady! And love the black on the two Ninja as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. A strange creature and very fine ninjas! You have nicely managed to paint them to not look entirely black.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well. It’s just after 6am and coffee is brewing …the Spider-Woman is definitely a startling image on a Monday morning!
    Fantastically creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, spiders...let's just stick with how awesome those Ninjas are...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done all around! The spider woman is a very captivating figure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent stuff Stuart. The spider woman is great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice looking ninjas and nasty looking spiderwoman!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wouldn't want a kiss from this spider woman. Reminds me of the subplot in Lovecraft Country about the spooky lass and the US serviceman. Well done.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your ninjas, and that jorougumo is creepy!

    ReplyDelete