Sunday 6 March 2022

From GregB - 10mm Orcs for GW's Warmaster (200 points)

Ready for war! 10mm Orcs for "Warmaster" - GW metal castings.

This week's submission carries, for me, a huge dose of nostalgia - here is a force of Orcs for GW's "Warmaster". These figures are all metal castings from GW - in my opinion, some of the best metal fantasy castings ever done by GW, or done by anyone. I don't want to bore you with the long story of gradually acquiring these OOP figures over many years, keeping them as part of my Smaug-like hobby horde...but The Painting Challenge smiles upon long-unpainted figures, and for the 12th edition of the Painting Challenge, I felt it was finally time to open these packs and get paint on these Orcs!

I find I can't quite throw these away...that is probably a bad sign...

There are three units of Orc boyz, two units of Goblins, a unit of Orc boar riders, a unit of Goblin wolf chariots, along with a couple of character bases - and to cap things off, a Giant! Enough to cause plenty of trouble on a raid out of the mountains and into The Empire! 

Three Regiments of Orc boyz! The core of the army.

Beautiful castings.

So many small details...really tried to capture it...

"Warmaster" is, flat out, one of the best rule sets GW has ever produced - indeed, one of the best sets of rules, period, its core mechanics having served as an underpinning for so many other rules that followed. The accompanying line of miniatures that GW released to go along the game were amazing, just wonderful castings. Painting these was definitely a "labour of love", and I tried my best to capture the many, many small features cast on to these stunning figures - a squiq here, a bone there...all sorts of wonderful little details - many perhaps beyond my brush skill, but I gave it my best shot. 

The goblin regiments...I wish I could secure more of these units...note the Orc in the front rank to keep an eye on the other gitz...

The Giant in particular is such fun to work on - many, many, many little details, like the smashed cart on the base, the poor patrons of the cart either hiding, or already stuck into the giant's belt for consumption later...what a cool figure. He should be fun to unleash in the game.

The boar riders, ready to charge home!

Gobbo charioteers - ready to rampage!

Curt and Byron, among others, have been posting some amazing 10mm fantasy work of their own during this Challenge. They have been basing their awesome figures for other games, but for me, I wanted to do plain old fun "Warmaster", so I based the figures up for the classic game - ready, one day, I hope, to take on my Empire troops on a game with my friends! 

Here are the characters that came with the Orc starter army. The Warlord is on the right, and an Orc boss is on the left.

As I said at the open of this post, the nostalgia factor on these figures is tremendous. For me, they are a connection to GW's "Old World", still one of my favourite fantasy settings. I have a few more packs of Warmaster Orcs that I hope to paint up before this edition of the Challenge ends...after all, even with all of the Orcs you see here, this is actually a pretty compact Orc force for the game. Still, even if my brushes don't find more Orcs before Spring arrives, at least there is a force that is ready to go! 

Here is the full bunch - ready for war!

Ok - for scoring, I hope I have this figured out...but we have 96 orcs, 49 goblins, three chariots - all in 10mm - and the giant, which I thought I would score as a 28mm figure. I think that works out to 191 points, which should bring me very close to my overall target for this edition of the Challenge. Good thing, given that we are approaching the end stages of this edition of the Painting Challenge...thanks for reading, and have a great week!


__________________________________

Ahh, this is fabulous, Greg. I love seeing all these 10mm fantasy armies being brought to life this Challenge. The Orcs are so iconic, especially for the Warhammer setting, so it's great to see these wonderful (and rare!) models getting treated to such fine brushwork. I really admire the clean lines, fun banners and punchy colours of these greenskins - they will look absolutely spectacular arrayed across from your Empire army. 

I'm going to add a few more points for the banners and extra details on the command stands. Beautiful work dude!

- Curt


31 comments:

  1. Lovely little orcs, gobbos and wargs, Greg! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing that beats the look of rank upon rank upon rank of WFB figures is more ranks in Warmaster scale! What a whopper Greg, awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sander! Yes, the massed rank effect of the Warmaster figures has major appeal.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful horde of green skins.

    Let me get this straight you moved the war master box and cards from the packets but figured that your LoTR figures weren’t worth moving?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heheh no Peter - the Warmaster figs were still in boxes and blisters, and so super easy to move (as opposed to painted, finished figures and models). The box and cards you see in the photos above are the remnants after I cracked them open for the Challenge.

      Delete
  4. Hi Grrg:

    Absolutely brilliant work, mate, I got lost in all the detail of those mass bases. I don't think you give your brushwork enough credit, you brought them to green squirming lovely life.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, these are amazing! Fantastic work I’m bringing them to life, the brushwork absolutely works to bring these cracking little figures to life. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely army, the old school as it should be. And don't throw away the boxes, keep them or sell them to the highest bidder (yes, there are people who buy empty boxes).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teemu! I might just end up keeping the boxes myself...that cannot be a good sign...

      Delete
  7. Awesome looking orc army!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. I appreciate seeing these - and so well done! It really is amazing what is displayed in the Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. another really great entry from you Greg - I so regret not buying loads of these back in the day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Kerry! Yes - among the top entries of my "Oh, I should have bought them" is quite a bit of Warmaster stuff, including the figures for Araby! Oh well.

      Delete
  10. Amazing work Greg! Nice to see Warmaster orcs and gobbos! Especially the gobbos are the best original Warmaster sculpts that there ever were! Loads of nice details and very characterful units!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Samuli - I have to agree, the 10mm renditions of the figures are, to my heart, "Peak Warhammer Fantasy" - so very nice and full of character.

      Delete
  11. Oh, wow, these are fantastic! Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do a minion a favour, and could you tally up those skullz?

      Delete
    2. Thanks Barks! For "Skull" purposes, this would not be many, as almost all of them are too tiny to mention. I would count the seven skullz on the assorted battle standards towards the skull duel.

      Delete
    3. Don't sell yourself short! Tiny skullz still count!

      Delete
  12. Outstanding work there dude!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful green horde, Greg! I love the banners and spot color on them all! Very nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is absolutely fantastic Greg! Needless to say that I have just such a starter set stacked away somewhere and I if ever succeed in painting them half as well as you have done these I will be very proud. Stunning work!

    ReplyDelete