Saturday 12 March 2022

BenF: 15mm Hellenistic Ancients (Istvaan V) 164 Pts

Well, I've not managed to post anything for the last few weeks, but that doesn't mean that I haven't been productive. Besides finally contracting the dreaded lurgi and being isolated for 7 days along with my wife and 3 year old, I've actually managed to paint up quite a few 15mm and 6mm figures, even a few aircraft! For this entry, I include the last (for this challenge) of my Hellenistic Ancients for my Impetus 2 forces. These are a mixed bag of light troops and mercenaries.

First off, the javelinmen. These are a base each of Illyrians, Kappadokians, and the Agrianians. The shield designs are all hand painted, and the Kappadokians are headswapped. All figures are from Forged in Battle's 15mm War and Empire range. 


Kappadokians


Illyrians


Agrianians


Next, its a horde of Thracians. These are a ubiquitous mercenary unit which served the Persians, Macedonians, Successors, and others. While the shield patterns on this lot are the excellent LBMS offerings, the geometric patterns on the cloaks are hand painted. These are seen often in Greek pottery and funerary paintings, as well as being described by Herodotus. The armoured lot are armed with the terrifying rhomphaia, a mix between a war axe, spear, and sword. As mercenaries, Thracian troops would often look after themselves, betraying their employer when unpaid.

Thracians with Rhomphaia


Thracian Peltasts


Next, it's the last bits of my Late Achaemenid Persian host, the infantry. These took me a long time to get the nerve up to attempt, not only because of the ornately decorated pyjamas, but also because they are, shall we say, not the highest quality troops you would find on an ancient battlefield. First the Kardakes and Takabara, light foot, the Takabara appear to possibly have been some kind of imitation hoplite, armed with javelins. To represent them, I ground the peltast shields of some Kardakes and added hoplite shields with LBMS decals.

The Kardakes were more akin to Greek peltasts, though they may have been some kind of cadet corps of light infantry. I hand painted the shield designs on these as LBMS don't make any decals for the peltast shields. Very pretty in the end, but the slingers are probably the most effective warriors of the lot of them! 


Takabara.



Kardakes


Slingers


Finally, it's a bevvy of Greek and Macedonians. The cavalry are Greek mediums, which can serve as Thessalians, though when I painted them I was inspired by the Hippeis of Kineas of Athens. This is the mercenary cavalry formation of Greek outcasts and warriors commanded by the Athenian exile, Kineas, to whom they owe absolute loyalty. Kineas is the protagonist for the first two of Christian Cameron's excellent Tyrant series.

The books describe their blue cloaks and some silvered armour, so here you are. I also drilled out and replaced the short javelins on the Forged in Battle figures with longer spears to represent the kontos used by Greek and Macedonian cavary during the period. I've also painted up a generic Macedonian command stand, perhaps representing Alexander's doomed general Zopyrion who was defeated by the Skythians and Olbians. I've also created a command base for Antigonos I Monopthalmus, or 'One-Eye', one of the greatest of Alexander's successors. I sculpted the eye patch on to represent this old war hound. One-Eye lived a remarkably long life filled with a remarkable amount of violence, and when he finally died in combat at the Battle of Ipsus in 301BC, he was 81 years old!


The Hippeis, led by Kineas of Athens.




The unfortunate Zopyrion

Antigonos I Monopthalmus. Annoyingly, I just noticed the flock on the standing commanders face!




That's it for the Ancients this entry. Next challenge I aim to focus on building up my 15mm Ancient forces more, most likely either on Carthaginians, or to make a start on my Nikephorian Byzantines. 

Grand total is 164points for this lot by my calculations
15mm foot = 52 @ 2 pts
15mm mounted = 10 @ 4 pts
Istvaan V bonus (betrayal for the Thracians, or Loyalty for the Hippeis) = 20 pts

From Millsy:

Another utterly amazing addition to your Ancients efforts this challenge Ben.

Everything is so wonderfully colourful and at the same time cohesive. Your bold colour choices, composition and complimentary basing style make your work so tempting to try and replicate.

As a fan of Carthaginians myself I'm putting in an early request for some of them next challenge please mate!

Wonderful work once again. Kudos.

14 comments:

  1. Fabulous work on those ancients, Ben! Especially the freehand patterns on their clothing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff! Your hand-painted designs are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marvelous set of greeks. I'm really impressed by your shield designs and the variety of colours and patterns you used for the clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ben, these are the best painted 15mm ancients I've ever seen, you've painted so much detail on the figures, especially the Thracians.
    This has got to be the BEST post of the entire Challenge, very well done that man!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful stuff Ben -- great hand painting on the coats and shields and well based for Impetus

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing, very colourful, but still kind of uniform. Hand painted shields and all the details. Simply amazing, very good job, Ben!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The details you have succeeded in painting on these figures is gobsmackingly awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glorious work, fantastic detail for 15mm figures

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anyone who hand paints shield designs at 15mm gets my respect. These look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It’s almost impossible to believe these are actually 15mm figures! Your painting is absolutely amazing. What a fantastic collection of awesome miniatures. Top notch!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing looking ancients. I do love this era, and you’ve done better work on 15s than I could hope to obtain on 28s. Well done. Old one eye is a favourite of mine too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic stuff .. keep thinking it is 28mm!

    Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete