Saturday 31 December 2022

PeteF: Cavern Dweller for High Adventure (30 points)

This delightful beastie seems to fit the High Adventure studio theme - I imagine it lives in a cavern deep in the mountains, somewhere in the frozen North.


The Cavern Dweller will be part of one of my Kings of War armies - it can play for either the (Good) Northern Alliance or their Evil counterparts, the Varangur. In the game it's quite a tough and hard hitting monster.


The model is made by Mantic Games (who also publish Kings of War).  When it arrived I was slightly disappointed because it's made from that plasticy PVC stuff rather than the more detailed resin.  As a grumpy old geezer I don't like paying big bucks for materials that feel on the cheap side.  But I do like the pose and the sculpting.


I used my favourite fur recipe again on this one (Field Drab/Khaki/Deck Tan) and went for a purply skin (burned red/magenta/pink/rose).  Teeth and claws I'm working on a recipe (this was: beige brown/tan yellow/ushabti bone/ivory - with some agrax earthshade washing).


I'm working on a new Kings of War faction - two challenges ago I did a lot of Nightstalkers - a horror/monster gribbly collection and I've enjoyed playing them.  For variety I'm trying out a different army with a different dynamic - the only problem is I need to paint a whole lot of new models.


One thing Mantic have done with their new rules is introduce a smaller version of the game Ambush! which requires smaller armies.  This means fewer models to a playable army which can at least give a flavour of what the faction is like.  I introduced a friend to the game this week and we both had great fun.


10 points for a 28mm monster (about 70mm if it stood up) and 20 for another studio.

Happy New Year everyone!

____________________________________

Being in the 'frozen north' I think I saw one of these guys pushing out a car out of a snow drift and then eating the driver. I just pulled down my toque and quietly moved on. 

Great work on this big, bad beastie, Pete! I like the juxtaposition of the purply striated flesh next to his cuddly fur. I've not heard of the Ambush! rules, but may be keen to try, especially with it having a small model-count. I hope we see more from your new KoW faction over the coming months.

- Curt

10 comments: