Saturday 31 December 2022

LeeH: WotR - Richmond, Pembroke & Oxford [77 points]

This week I have a trio of rebel Earls and their accompanying troops for my Lancastrian army at Bosworth. 


First and foremost, we have Henry Tudor, The Earl of Richmond. Henry had been exiled to France for several years, but now, with the support of the French King, he was making his play for the crown. This was a risky move that would likely see him either crowned King or dead (one way or another). Richard has been modeled with a slightly larger command stand of three mounted figures and bears Henry’s Standard in green and white with a prominent red dragon. He is supported on the battlefield by a company of Mounted Household Knights. This company carries his banner as Earl of Richmond which is also mirrored on the caparison (the cloth covering) on Henry’s mount. 


Next, we have Henry’s Uncle, Jasper Tudor, at one time the Earl of Pembroke. He continued to use this title in exile until it was restored to him by his Nephew Henry upon his ascension to the throne. He is represented here as part of another company of Mounted Household Knights. The banner I have used is very similar to that of the Earl of Richmond.


Finally, I have Sir John de Vere, the Earl of Oxford. He commanded the main portion of the Army and the inexperienced Henry was wise enough to leave command in the hands of the much more experienced soldier. Oxford, as a Battle Commander, has a command base that is slightly smaller than Henry’s. He is accompanied by a company of Foot Household/Men-at-arms, a Company of Retinue/Billmen, and a Company of Archers. 


As before I have made all the standards and banners myself using artwork scanned from various sources, mostly the excellent Heraldic Banners guides by the Lance and Longbow Society. I hadn’t quite anticipated how much extra work is required to make flags this small. Painting the white edges and ensuring they are varnished properly before adding to the bases seems to be taking ages, but hopefully, I’ll be able to pick up the pace a little with practice. Despite the extra work I’m more convinced than ever that its worth it for the final touch on a base of figures. 

Next on my desk will be more contingents from Oxford’s command which I want to complete before moving on to the Stanley’s and their armies. Having completed the first few companies I am more convinced than ever that I’m not going to complete the whole project by Challenge end. Thus far, the painting portion of making these bases is only half the job, in terms of time commitment. I don’t want to skimp on this element and I would rather take my time and do the best job I can on these than rush just to get stuff completed. I still estimate that I will have about two-thirds or more of the project completed by the end of the challenge and hopefully the momentum I have built up by that stage will see the project ‘completed’ by summer... I hope! Otherwise, this may have to be a double-challenge project!! 

(72x6mm Foot plus 35x6mm Cavalry - Total 61 Points)

___________________________

Lovely! Another WotR post today - I truly feel spoiled!

Really wonderful work here, Lee. Again, I love all the care and attention you've put into each one of these units. From the banners and the livery, it all looks quite magnificent, and very much worth the extra effort you've been putting in. I look forward to seeing the rest of Oxford's command coming up!

- Curt

PS: Your point estimate was a smidge off, but, to your favour, the Spreadsheet of Doom caught it. Also, I've added a few more for your work on the banners. :)

20 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful project, a joy to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. More 6mm hitting the Challenge, a trendy scale in 2022 and very likely in 2023. The bases are really nice, good painting job

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Curt. Maths clearly isn't my strong point! I know what happened. I changed the number of figures per base for the cavalry as I was working on these, but didn't change the tally on my planning sheet. DOH! Thanks for the extra points though, I'm gonna need them 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job Lee! Going to have to check that site for banners for my forces then and get them updated. Again I am in awe of those that can paint such a small scale and to such a high detail. Great job again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are three books in the Heraldic Banners series by Freezywater Publishing (the Lance and Longbow Society) but they seem to cover every noble that took part. Many have a banner shown but even where they don't they have a description of their heraldry. In many cases it's possible to use the banner for their father as an alternative.

      Delete
    2. Great resource that! Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Great looking units. Following these with interest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing detail at that scale well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely work on your wee WotR chaps, Lee! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having neither the eyes nor the patience for 6mm, I am amazed by the quality that you’ve produced here Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely work on these. I to will be following your progress on these armies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Lee! I always enjoy you brushwork in the wee scales...but holy heck the color really pops on these smol knights!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent project Lee. Wonderful to see all and read the info you reference. The banners are well worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It’s very nice to see more of your excellent 6mm work, Lee! I’m looking forward to seeing this project rolling along. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great painting Lee, I would like to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look splendid, you've done a great job with the 'white' armour and the banners really make the command elements stand out!

    ReplyDelete