Saturday 24 December 2022

RobH - Anyscale Models - RAM Badger (20 Points)

The Badger was a flamethrower equipped tank used in NW Europe by the Canadian Army. The first Badgers were Ram Kangaroos with the Wasp II flamethrowing equipment (as used on the Universal Carrier) installed in place of the bow MG. Later models were turreted Rams with the equipment in place of the main gun. 

 
I don't have a lot of experience with weathering vehicles so I went with a basic black (Vallejo German Grey) followed by brown (Vallejo Beastly Brown) washes. I made sure that some texture paint was smeared over the tacks and boogy wheels to represent the muddy conditions the army fought through in the fall-winter of 1944-45. 

According to Wikipedia, the Ram was a cruiser tank designed and built by Canada in the Second World War, based on the U.S. M3 Medium tank chassis. Due to standardization on the American Sherman tank for frontline units, it was used exclusively for training purposes and was never used in combat as a gun tank. The chassis was used for several other combat roles however, such as a flamethrower tank, observation post, and armoured personnel carrier.



________________________

Excellent work, Rob! You've provided a great bit of Canadian armoured history here (I didn't know that they produced a flamethrowing variant). I think you've done a terrific job on the weathering, especially the cloying mud in the tracks and mechanicals. Well done.

- Curt


12 comments:

  1. Very nice tank and interesting history lesson, Rob!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great model and paint job, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting model, I did not have it in my radar! Nice work with the painting; I would suggest for the future taking a look to the AK or Mig pigments for the weathering

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I have seen a few people talk about AK pigments for weathering on their blogs. I will look into them

      Delete
  4. Great work on this AFV Rob, and nice weathering. Like Curt I hadn’t realized that there was a blowtorch version

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work, will have to look into Anyscale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I received a new order from them recently. Hopefully there will be a warm spell in February so I can get them primed for the AHPC. Six various Canadian Military Pattern (CMP) vehicles.

      Delete
  6. Nice mud effects - and an unusual vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't say no to any flamethrowing tank...

    ReplyDelete