Saturday 24 December 2022

From ByronM: 15mm Striking Scorpions and Wizard's Tower (35 Points)

For today's post I have a few items, but first up are some more 15mm Warhammer 40k items.  These are some of the left over models from last years Eldar project.  These are 11 3d printed resin Striking Scorpions and a Wave Serpent for transport.

 

While normally only 10 models are in a squad I painted up both versions of the squad exarch (leader) so that I have options in game.  One version has twin swords and shuriken pistols and the other has a huge two handed chain sword.  I also have the Wave Serpent ready to transport them into battle at a moments notice. 

 
I tried to go with the original green and yellow paint scheme but I tried several times to get the swords and guns to look good in yellow and I eventually had to give up and go with black and silver for them.  I did leave some markings and the hair in yellow, although it just would not pop bright yellow no matter what I did, so not thrilled with them, but too frustrated to do any more.


Next up is a 3d printed tower that I printed at 10mm scale to use as terrain for my 10mm Kings of War project.  I tried to give it some character by painting the stones in various shades, and think it worked out well.  It should look good on a hill top in a game soon. As for size it is about 4" tall and has a base about 2" square.

As for points, I come up with the following:

11 15mm Scorpions @ 2 points = 22 points
1 15mm vehicle @ 8 points
1 10mm tower @ 5 points (by terrain math its less than that, but it surely counts as at least 1 28mm figure as its several sizes larger than one)

For a total of 35 points.


________________________________________________

Fabulous wee Eldar, Byron, and that wizard's observatory looks wonderfully baroque and, um, architecturally 'forward thinking' (ie unsafe). I love the helipad with the pentagram landing zone (never know when you're going to have winged daemons dropping in for an unscheduled visit.) With three entries under your belt over these opening few days, you've been absolutely on-fire this edition. I look forward to seeing what you have for us next.

- Curt

14 comments:

  1. They look great. I particularly like the tower and its haphazard wizardyness of it. The blue tiles go great with the bronze and red dome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some fine little Warhammer miniatures and a great little tower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I specailly like the tower. Beautifully painted

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work here! Love this scale that people are handing in here.. not big in our area, but maybe one day? For yellow as well, I can highly recommend the GW contrast painted over a white/bone base.. it has done wonders for me this year since finding it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You’re rolling out the goods in quality and quantity Byron. Love that tower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yellow is a challenging colour. The panel lines on the grav tank are really crisp!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As prolific as ever - the Wizard's Tower is ace - and I'm intrigued by Kings of War at the smaller scale - how do you like it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PeteF, we play it locally at 10mm since it makes armies so much faster to paint. We use the same size bases and same distances for rules, so it plays exactly the same as larger scale but looks more correct in our minds as it really should be masses of troops not 8-30 for most units. In 10mm a Regiment of infantry usually has at least 50-60 models on the base, so it looks more like ranked up combat to us.

      Delete
  8. Great job with the Striking Scorpions, I always felt that 28mm (as it was) was too large for 40k, certainly hasn't lost visual impact at 15mm in your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Striking Scorpions are super cool, but I LOVE that Wizard Tower! Great work Byron.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice work, Byron! I like the Eldar and the wave serpent...that blue is striking and makes me nostalgic for chrome and formica! The Wizard tower is grand though...like the colors you picked for it too!

    ReplyDelete