Thursday 26 January 2023

LeeH - Medieval Town & Church (30 Points)

I had intended to get the last units of my Tudor army finished this week but time got away with me and so I decided to do something ‘easier’ this week by skipping ahead to some medieval buildings. As it was, they were decidedly more tricky and intricate than anticipated…painting medieval wood frame buildings in 2mm is very fiddly! All the buildings are from Brigade Models and are wonderfully detailed for 2mm buildings. The surfaces also have a bit of texture to them which makes painting flat surfaces like plain walls or roofs easier. 

Confident I knew what I was doing I then decided to have a go at a small town with a much larger church, which may be associated with a monastic order or a saint. There are more streets, and larger buildings all tightly clustered around muddy roads. As would be typical for a market town I made the main street a little wider than the side roads. For the groundwork, I used my usual mix of turf with some lighter-colored grass patched for contrast. The penultimate stage was to soak a few small clumps in PVA and glued them into place to represent trees. The last step was a dabble of textured paint (European Mud, by Vallejo) to blend the roads and bare patches in a bit better. Overall I’m pretty happy with my first foray into 2mm town planning!


I also did this small country church. There’s not much to say about this other than the detail is very fine for such a small model and there was little to zero cleaning required prior to undercoating. 


Points Estimate:

I honestly haven't got a clue. Using the 6x6x6 cube method, this lot is worth about 1 point! So clearly, that doesn’t work for smaller scales. I reckon each building is like painting a 15mm figure in terms of detail painting, but I’ll leave that tricky judgment to poor Teemu. You may have to ask the Snow Lord for a ruling on this as I couldn’t find a precedent from previous entries?? 

Best of luck mate, and I’ll have my fingers crossed for a high number 😉

From TeemuL: This is a tricky judgement, indeed. Based on the very strict cube counting by yesterday's minion I have my hands tied to the sections, subsections and paragraphs, but may be my inability to understand them results in variations. 6x6x6 (the devilish code) means one, so I'll give you one. One cube, that is, meaning 20 points. And 10 more from the bonus category. If someone feels the scoring is way off in any direction, just let me know, and I'll do my best to correct my errors. :)

These building are so nicely painted, that it is difficult to see their real size, which might have affected my minioning. There are no measurements to take guidance from, I could easily accept them being 15mm buildings and worth bucketload of points, but I'll take your word for them being 2mm. They look very nice, Lee!

23 comments:

  1. Wow they look great. Really sharp and blend perfectly into the table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely buildings and excellent basing. They look much bigger than 2mm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely little town and country church, Lee! :)

    The standard terrain scoring doesn't really work for small scale very detailed buildings like these. I've always thought we shouldn't have included terrain in the Challenge - the scoring either gives too many or far too few points for the effort involved, depending on the scale and type of terrain involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Tamsin. Of course different models are differently detailed, heroic models are much larger and need more time than non-heroic models, so perhaps should be scored differently. I mean if one would want to go in to too much detail. And the whole scoring, should be score the output (like now) or input (the time used for example)? Lots of questions. :)

      Delete
  4. Very nice buildings. I agree 100% with the minion's scoring judgement and I even think it should deserve more given the quality of the work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is difficult to judge, happily this isn't a competition and I don't need to worry if my decisions will make a difference on the World Championships. :) At the same time, I'm happy to change the point amount, if there is enough "pressure."

      Delete
  5. Great Zonks! That is amazing work on such a tiny tiny scale there! I bet they look amazing when on the board surrounded by super tiny atoms of models ( please dont make me look and see that you painted 2mm figures for this! I will cry at how awesome that it! )..

    And fully support the minion decision on points.. great job all around from all persons involved!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful job - as I'm learning, painting tiny buildings is tough but you seem to do it with ease - nicely done

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some excellent detail work on these buildings Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really love these BUAs, fine work Lee

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it- good terrain makes a game

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the scoring - the effort needs reward

      Delete
  10. A great little town, Lee! As some one who has repeatedly submitted small scale buildings for 1 (one) point in the past, I welcome this emerging new policy 😉. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are certainly wee all right. Nice work on 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Terrific looking buildings, Lee. I really like the chamfered edges to the bases.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lee, this is an awesome little scene!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Splendid looking terrain, love the monastic order buildings!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a superb town, looking at the pictures initially I thought they were much bigger. Glad to see Teemu's given you a decent score for what is a lovely entry

    ReplyDelete
  16. Simply amazing. This type of scene just draws one into the game. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That town is brilliant Lee!

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete