Thursday 23 February 2023

From GeoffreyT: Bandida and Wagons (Western)(85 points)

Hello Challengers,

I already have a sizeable western collection I used for "Fistful of lead", so didn't really need anything much to add for this studio task. There was however one niggling problem I had to resolve. One of my gaming friends continually bates me because his Mexican bandit miniatures have bigger sombrero's than mine. So here was a fine opportunity to address that concern.

This sculpt came out very much as I intended.  I wanted this Bandida to look kind of loose and hippyish, not body-builder chic like many fantasy miniatures.

She is quite lean with baggy sleeves and pants, as you can see from an oblique view.

This lady was sculpted in greenstuff, here is a pic of the green about 90% complete.  I had the bulk of the stuff down but still needed to patch and smooth other the joints between pieces of stuff.


Regardless, everybody knows its not the size of the sombrero but how you use it, but the issue is resolved for good now.

For the Westerns studio, I also noticed the fine print read "Wagons Roll".  Here are some wagons I was given second hand in a pile of parts.


I don't know what era/genre these are from as they came second hand.  They don't look specifically western, but do look like they could fit 19th century. That they have bullocks instead of horses makes them seem less wild west. 

I don't think all the parts matched.  I ended up with some spare bullocks and wheels, but no more yokes.


They came with a number of disparate crew of various eras, these two bullock drivers appear colonial.  There were others I didn't paint.



Now for the points:

1 x 28m scale Bandida = 5 points

2 x 28mm scale vehicles = 40 points

2 x 28mm scale spare bullocks = 10 points

2 x 28mm bullock drivers = 10 points 

1 x Westerns studio bonus = 20 points

Total = a whopping 85 points.


The Bandida also qualified the post for Sarah's Choice.


Until next time

Geoff.

From TeemuL: Positive group pressure is sometimes all what is needed for creative and characterful results. Good looking bandida, nice sculpting and the paint work is good, very fitting for a western look. The wagons look nice, too, not necessarily 100% western, but I wouldn't object. And of course usable in many eras and venues.

14 comments:

  1. lovely bit of sculpting, nicely stylised

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fact that you are sculpting so many of these figures for yourself. Lovely stuff, Geoffrey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really enjoying the home sculpts. Your bandita is wonderful and I like the really useful wagons

    ReplyDelete
  4. A really cool sculpt. I have long wanted to learn but I keep putting it off and never really make any inroads. I have a lot of respect for those, like you, who can push putty. A real skill. Love the wagons too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That’s a very well-armed sombrero! Great work, Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great sculpt and nice wagons!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the bandita! A very characterful sculpt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work, Geoffrey! I love your sculpting and she most certainly has a huge Sombrero to wear! The wagons and oxen are fine for the west too BTW. Horses were more expensive than cattle and often the wagons were repaired and modified by the owners for need and use. Sometimes the larger wagons were used for homestead construction with the wheels and axels reused on simple buckboard types( think flatbed haulers. Very useful all and nice brushwork too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous Geoff, loving the wagons and the sculpting is great

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the baggy sleeves! Very cinematic.

    ReplyDelete