Tuesday 26 December 2023

From StuartL - Tyrannical - Sarah's Library Cart - 65 Points

    And hello again.

    This should be my final post for a day or two, as I clear the last few models from my workbench and make space for some more.

    One of my projects for this year is to paint up some 40K minis. I don't actually play 40K currently, but I do play the variant ruleset for Warhammer 30,000. On one of the forums I frequent, someone has posted up rules for playing games of 40K using 30K and this seemed like a good chance to refresh an old army. 

    Back in 2011/2012 I painted up a bunch of minis for an army list produced by Forge World for their Badab War books. The Badab War is a mini civil war between rival factions in an area known as the Maelstrom Zone. The group of Space Marines assigned to guard the zone become bitter that they aren't getting the support they need and decide to secede from the Imperium. The Imperial high command decides that this needs to be nipped in the bud and send a task force to reclaim the lost worlds. When they arrive they find that the leader of the secession has been building his own Space Marine Legion, complete with unaugmented human auxiliaries. This force would become known as the Tyrant's Legion.


The Tyrant's Legion army allows players to field most of the usual Space Marine forces along with human meat-shields auxiliaries. By using the normal troops to soak up incoming fire supplement their fighting strength, the Space Marines can close the gap and annihilate their foes. For now I have only painted some marines, the bullet-sponges regular troops will be coming later in the challenge. First of all, we have a captain to lead the force. The model is an old metal figure from GW. I think the model originally had a storm bolter, but as I couldn't find it, I substituted a plastic grav-pistol instead. 


    Providing some solid fire-support and devastating melee power, a Contemptor dreadnought makes an impression in the 30K rules. This is the first gen plastic kit which is kind of static, though I did use a melee arm from the newer, more posable second generation model. To help show these guys as being the baddies, I added a couple of extra skulls to the torso (who needs peripheral vision) and some chains around the waist.


    And finally a squad of scouts. the middle model is plastic, the others are metal. All of these models have transfers applied from The Mighty Brush, though sadly that store seems to have discontinued most of their chapter specific decals. 
    Between them, these models are sporting 30 Skulls (31 actually, but the last is a transfer and so doesn't count), you have got to love GW's obsession with skull iconography.

With that lot out of the way, it is time to head across the lobby in Sarah's Library Cart to the History section. I don't have my entry for that part of the library ready yet, but it is underway. To pay for the ride, I offer this female assassin figure, once more from Reaper Bones.


    What is it with assassins and duel-wielding odd looking swords? It doesn't seem like the most efficient way of stealthily and sneakily offing someone. Still, it looks cool.


For scoring, we have:
7x28mm minis = 35 points
1xDreadnought = 10 points
Library Cart = 20 points
Total = 65 Points

For my duels:
Skulls +30 = 31 Skulls
Legions + 40 = 40 Points

_________________________________

Another(!) great entry, Stuart! I've been aware peripherally of the Badab War, but never knew it's particulars, so thanks for filling in that gap of random 40K knowledge! These seven Space Marine models will provide you a great basis for your emerging force while that overzealous assassin will either get her kill or go down in a flurry of flashing blades. Well done!

- Curt

16 comments:

  1. Man you are pumping them out, nice skill on the detailed banners, very nice entry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The banners are both transfers, my freehand is dreadful. Thank you though.

      Delete
  2. Great background and great painting as well. Good work. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. I always liked the scout marines though as a former IG player I think marines are an excessive waste of points when one could have large massive cannons. I could be slightly biased....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cracking work Stuart, you certainly are cracking on

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice Stuart. Those are still my favourite scout scuplts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The skull transfer still counts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I will include that in the side duels form.

      Delete
  7. Posting more than the Post Office 😆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Post Office has been setting the bar pretty low though.

      Delete
  8. Nice stuff Stu and an informative lesson for those of us not into 40k

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking space marines and assassin!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do enjoy the 40K “history” and still remember the badab war stuff in the white dwarves circa no100….. smashing job on these

    ReplyDelete
  11. Again?! Another fine bunch, I like the blue shoulder pads on the scouts. Nice work, Stuart!

    ReplyDelete