Tuesday 26 December 2023

From StuartL - Way Out West - Fantasy and Sarah's Library Cart (65 Points)

Hello all, I hope that you are enjoying the winter festivities. For me, Christmas is a small, quiet affair. My wife was at work all day, so I could get on with the important business of painting minis, and I have a few to post as a result. 

    Having spent the last challenge travelling in the comfort of Lady Sarah's Limousine, I was a little disappointed to be downgraded to a Library Cart, but as I have no intention of walking, I won't grumble too much. 


    So, to pay for my ride, I present this female knight from Reaper Bones. This is one of their older figures and the face is a little bit lumpy. (Plus I have managed to get flock everywhere despite my efforts to clean it up). To accompany her on her quest and to do any fetching and carrying, I have included two other knights. These are more recent Bones minis and they are a lot crisper in terms of detail. 


   These models are going to be used in a new game. Over the summer I started work on writing my own miniature skirmish game, and so far I have the core rules done. The idea is that it will be very sand-boxy and miniatures agnostic, so that players can build whatever they like in terms of their forces. Having played a few test games, the system plays quite smoothly, though some balance tweaks are necessary. However, my gaming group meets infrequently and are obsessed with some minor (and inferior) game called Warhammer, so getting in enough playtesting has been challenging to say the least. If anybody fancies helping out, let me know and I can send you a copy of the current rules. Any and all feedback will be most welcome.


    So, with Sarah's Library cart trundling along, it is time to visit my second section of the library, the Fantasy Books section.

    Tomorrow I have a friend coming over for a day of gaming and he wants to play Malifaux. For those of you who don't know it, Malifaux is a card driven, Weird Wild West skirmish game set on a world in a magical dimension. Factions run a wide range between steam-punk cowboys, redneck gremlins, killer snowmen and undead ladies of ill repute. For tomorrow's game, I needed some muscle for my crew, so painted up a character known as the Brutal Emissary.


    This chunky fellow is a manifestation of one of the factions in Malifaux, the Guild. The Guild are the rulers of Malifaux's human population and are very draconian in terms of their policies and practices. The Brutal Emissary is no different, either walloping enemies with that massive blade, or locking them in a cage (or that coffin on his hip).


    Despite being an undead monstrosity, this model synergises really well with the Guild's undead hunting crew, the Death Marshals, which I shall be using tomorrow. Hopefully newly-painted-model syndrome will pass me by and the emissary won't be killed turn one by a lucky shot.

    
    And just so you can see how big he truly is, here is a scale shot with the Reaper mini from earlier.

On to the scoring and we have:

3x 28mm minis = 15 points
1x 54mm mini = 10 points
Library Cart = 20 points
Fantasy = 20 points
TOTAL = 65 Points


   The Brutal Emissary also gives me 1 skull for the Skull Duel. Woo.

My Duels Totals:
Skulls: 1
Legions: 0

_____________________________________

Great work on these fantasy denizens, Stuart! That Brutal Emissary is a very impressive piece of nastiness. His gibbet 'lantern' must have been quite fiddly to work with - well done! 

As to your rules-in-developmen, I hope our group can take a run at them this new year, and hopefully you'll get some other Challengers interested to serve as playtesters for you. The more the merrier!

- Curt


14 comments:

  1. Wow what an interesting selection of models, and writing a set of rules, my hats off to you. keep the minis coming, I look forward to seeing what you have for us next

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! That points section should say 3x28mm, not 38mm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work. Malifaux has some really interesting figures. With a different color scheme the emissary could be a Krampus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking mix of figures!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boom, “downgrade from the limo to library cart”, you will be off for discipline for that one!

    Great entries Stuart, loving the weird west skull guy!

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a lovely steel effect on those knights!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That lad with the skull on his head looks a bit scary 😨

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work, love the giant who clearly packed a lunch

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blimey, he is a chunky fellow. Nice colours

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great set of figures, welll done

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those knights look good, Stuart, but the Emissary surely takes the biscuit. Great work!

    ReplyDelete