Monday 22 January 2024

From SimonG: Roman Statues and Auxiliary Archers (85 points)

With another Monday I'm very excited to offer today two contrasting offerings from my ongoing Jewish Wars project -- a pair of statues for table decoration plus the first full Impetus based unit -- a group of Eastern Auxiliary archers.


Avete Victoria !


I intend for these two statues to be used as set dressing within and around the Roman temple in my Antonia fortress model (as seen in last year's AHPC). The figures are 3D prints purchased from Goose Minis on Etsy. I had them printed in 30mm thinking they would be larger than my 28mm figures but as they are quite slight/not heroic builds I should have gotten them in at least a size or two up! They have been installed on plinths from Sarissa. 


Ideally I would have ordered the statues printed bigger!

Now while most of us are familiar with ancient statues in their present day "naked" form they were most likely originally brightly painted. It was quite a challenge to try and switch painting styles to make it look like a statue and not like a real human being -- choosing brighter colours, less realistic skin tones and so on.


The first statue is of Victoria who will take pride of place inside the temple.

Sarissa plinth and marble effect paint




Shown in the temple with candle light


The second statue was intended to be a general purpose scholar. However I failed to notice the huge anachronism -- what would a first century Roman be doing with a bound book!  A quick spot of research however quickly allowed me to propose that this is a statue of Martial (Marcus Valerius Martialis). Now known for his epigrams, Martial was one of the first to popularise codices, an early form of bound book. So for a library themed challenge this seemed the ideal famous person!

Very pleased with this plinth marble effect!

I added a couple of braziers from my odds & sods bag



As a special nod to the character and to the challenge, the book in Martial's hand is actually open to a quote from Epigram 6.60 (translation by David Maceystrictly it is a paraphrase, so apologies if I've messed up the translation in doing this) 


Laudat, amat, cantat nostros mea Roma libellos,

meque sinus omnes, me manus omnis habet.

Ecce rubet quidam, pallet, stupet, oscitat, odit.

Hoc volo: nunc nobis carmina nostra placent.


Rome lauds, loves, and sings my little books.

I am in every pocket, every hand.

Behold: she blushes, pales, dazes, yawns, looks

sick. That’s what I want! Now I’m my own fan. 



 

(For the technically minded this is a 3point font size laser print onto sticky label paper (the book is 4mm by 6mm in size) -- the use of sticky paper is the secret as trying to place and glue something this size is a) next to impossible and b) always leads to the glue spoiling the paper!)


So with these two oddball characters out of the way we can turn to some real wargaming stuff -- a unit of skirmisher archers for Impetus -- Eastern Roman auxiliary archers from Victrix. The colour scheme is from Osprey "Roman Army Units in the Eastern Provinces I -- plate A).  I had great fun painting these in what has to be the closest I've had to a fantasy colour scheme, they would fit right in a LoTR army!





As is my habit I strung the bows with button thread. It's this sort of thing that limits my productivity 😝 !







So while the theme this week was first century Roman where have we been in the AHPC library? Last week we were in Overdues and Returns so we will call on Sarah's Library Cart in the form of Victoria to take us to The Statue of a Famous Person, Martial. Together this is two 30mm figures at 5 points each plus the 20 point bonus for the library cart and another 20 for the Famous Person statue. With finally 1 point for 1/20 of a terrain cube in the bases this gives me 51 points for the two statues.



I make no bonus point claim for the 6 28mm archers so that's another 30 points for 81 in total this week -- hard work for the points but I really enjoyed it!  With a house move next week I may have to miss the regular Monday free for all but I'm looking forward to bringing a load of 15mm ruffians in a couple of weeks time.

Sylvain: Great description of what were ancient statues and your paint job on these is perfect, they really look like painted statues. I'll give a few more points (4) for your bases, for the realistic marble effect which look so cool. And great band of archers too. Good luck with moving to a new place, I wish you unbroken miniatures.

30 comments:

  1. Stringing bows! Such insanity! But I can't debate the results...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. It’s not as hard as it looks and I quite enjoy it (except for the drawn bows, unless you can drill
      Out the hand to thread it through)

      Delete
  2. These are awesome Simon. Love the statues, including the quick thinking fix on the book. I know that these were painted but it still looks a bit odd.

    Really like those Auxiliary archers, the blue tunics are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I was quite surprised with the colour of the archers tunics. My rendering is perhaps still a bit too bright but as I had to mix the shade by hand it was hard to get a consistent result

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. Appreciate your kind comment

      Delete
  4. Great stuff - especially like the archers with the bowstrings - your effort was definitely worthwhile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jez -- at least I only had six of them on a skirmisher base :-)

      Delete
  5. really awesome post, the statues are great but my favorite is the archers they are really nice, great detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kent -- those Victrix scuplts are pretty good although they all seem to be brothers!

      Delete
  6. The statues are cool, but I really like your archers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great brushwork on the archers! The marble effect on the plinths looks very realistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob -- it actually looks even better under natural light, I need to not over illuminate things for photography (it's not as if they're moving anyway!)

      Delete
  8. Great looking statues and the Roman archers are ace as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant quote and sticker; I like the marbling and the 'candlelit' photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Took me a little while to get the camera in the right place but I think that photo came out well

      Delete
  10. As others have said, wonderful statues. Stringing your bows..wow
    Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom -- I hope that SidneyR and I can encourage others to give this a try, its not as much work as you think

      Delete
  11. I liked the marble effect on the statue plinths and the statues as well - link is excellent in starting people to see the grey roman/greek world differently. stringing bows - definitely madness but we get to enjoy the fruits of your labour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that -- glad you liked them, and what did we all do before we could look all this stuff up on the Internet 😆

      Delete
  12. Fab work Simon, love the statues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray -- I'm looking forward to getting them on the table for a game

      Delete
  13. I've never thought of statues being painted. Great work here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter -- I remembered reading about them being painted so thought it was worth a try

      Delete
  14. Good work all round Simon. Great statues and you went the extra mile on those bowstrings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dallas -- after stronging dozens and dozens of HYW English longbows this was a cake walk!

      Delete
  15. Fantastic looking statues, another string to your bow 😉

    ReplyDelete