Monday 22 January 2024

From SanderS: Robin Hood in Children's Books (65 points)

 Hoi,


Since my last post two weeks past I only managed to finish 9 figures, life threw quite a few spanners in the works recently. I will spare you the details and get going. 

Let's be honest okay? My main focus this Challenge will lye on my Bretonnians and I am willing to bend the rules to get them in anyway I can. Now since I got hold of quite a lot of the old school miniatures and characters as well I decided I was going to do the Brigands of Bergerac, with the characters:  Bertrand the Brigand (aka Robin Hood), Hugo le Petit (Little John) and Gui le Gros (Father Tuck). Now back when I was a kid, we used to read decent books after bedtime like the one shown here which is a Dutch translation of Ivanhoe (by Sir Walter Scott) in which  Robin Hood has a small Cameo and since I do not have the actual Robin Hood book this will have to do. 

I painted up some white metal squires to use as the Brigands of Bergerac because I didn't have enough to make a bigger unit.

As a painting reference I use Pinterest where I make folders filled with all kinds of inspirational pictures and one of them had a Bertrand figure wearing a brilliant checkered  pants so I had to try that for my figure and I am really happy with it. 




Here are the full command squires:




Some regular grunts shooting bows:




Now pointswise there are 9 figures in 28mm good for 45 points and that together with the Library bonus should net me 65. Sadly I was unable to finish a unit of Knights Errant so they will show up next week.


Cheers Sander




Sylvain: I am sure many Challengers will fondly remember Robin Hood from their childhood. Great entry for this theme! The band is very characterful and you did a great job at expressing the personality of each sculpt. I'm sure these little figurines will bring joy to the gaming table. Thanks for indulging us!


15 comments:

  1. what an excellent submission, love barrel on the back of Fryer tucks back, so good

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work with tons of character, Bertrand is looking very Errol Flynn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these old-school models and your great work on 'em Sander!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great mob of merry men, Sander. You did a great job on Bertrand's tights and I love the Friar toting his keg of ale. Robbing the rich and feeding the poor is thirsty work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely stuff- these were my very first Challenge entry back in 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved painting those figures back in the day. Wish I knew where they went... Wonderful work on yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. an enjoyable band of rogues indeed

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really cute figures Sander -- and very crisp painting too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful unit, Sander! I like oldschool, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely. I have the old Robin Hood theme running around mg head now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. An excellent entry, Sander! The checkered pants are great, as are all the character figures, but the footsloggers are very nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @everyone: thanks heaps for your encouraging words, theywere ajoy to paint, more is in the works!

    ReplyDelete