Sunday 4 February 2024

From BenitoV: Strolling through the Fantasy Room (30 points)

New Sunday, new post in the Painting Challenge. I continued my visit to the Section 1 of the Library... and being a long-time fan of all-things Tolkien, it'd been a sin not spending time in the Fantasy section.


A bit of background: Following the release of the Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings films trilogy in the early 2000, I fell into the trap of the Games Workshop's shiny film-related miniatures and skirmish rules. I build and paint Uruk Hai, Orcs and Gondor units, as well as a plethora of the main characters (the whole Fellowship, Sauron, Isildur, Galadriel, etc). Played this game a lot a lot but after 2-3 years took a back seat when I shift my sights in other historical projects.

Then, one of my club friends contacted me during the summer holidays inquiring if I'd be interested in returning to play fantasy games in a LOTR environment when the new playing season started in autumn. Having news that Too Fat Lardies was working on a set of medieval rules (Midgard) with application to a fantasy universe, this was a straight yes.


I needed to fill some gaps in my armies, specially mounted units. So I did some Google research aiming initially to buy old GW models second hand... until I discovered an almost infinite range of 3D models available, many of very high quality. 


This is a mounted Orc Shaman in 28mm from Ebora Miniatures. It serves as the paint test for a unit of orcs mounted on Wolfs (or Wargs?) already printed and queuing now in my paint table (together with some half-done Late Roman cavalry). 


The post today will add 30 points to my Challenge scoring:

1 x 28mm Mounted Model @10 points = 10 points

Bonus Fantasy Books Section = 20 points

Total = 30 points



Brilliant entry today Benito! And yes, the world is but your oyster when it comes to 3D printing these days.. with nearly anything and everything being available in one shape, form or whathave you. Great paint there, and whole unit of them will be terrifying. 

30 pts for you!
Kyle

     


 

23 comments:

  1. Great looking figure Benito. I've always considered LotR to be one of the best rule sets ever made. Ironic it came from GW, really. I hadn't heard about Midguard so now I'll have to go and research that. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LotR was an easy system to play indeed but found combats too dependant on luck. With respect to Midgard, it's still WIP and considering the TFL's products average time to market, unlikely to be out before summer

      Delete
  2. Good brushwork on the mini, which should fit the original GW minis well. Any excuse to paint and play Lotr is good enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's closer to 30mm than to to the 25-28mm of the old GW range, but who cares really XD

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous finish as always on a really nice sculpt!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and yes, the detail of the sculpt is brilliant

      Delete
  4. Nice figure and you did a fantastic paint job - really captures the character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the more lupine appearance to that warg. Lovely paint job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very characterful! Love what you have done with the warg's eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Used a bright yellow for the eyes. Thanks for passing by

      Delete
  7. Excellent Warg Benito. Definitely has a wild vibe and as usual your painting is brilliant. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Top notch painting on that Benito

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like that model and your paintwork really hits it out of the park, Benito. Lovely brushwork.

    ReplyDelete