Wednesday 14 February 2024

From DaveD - ACW Union Artillery (195 points)

Over this challenge most of my collections will have had some new additions.  This week it is back to 10mm ACW. I am planning a big ACW game later in the year and will be providing a lot of the forces for both sides .  The first top up is for the Union artillery to fill them out my existing ones to full 3 gun model batteries (currently using 2 - with one gun model = 2 real) and take me towards 16 full batteries each complete with a limber. There are a range of different gun types right up to big mortars. 

All figures are 10mm Pendraken and are finished in my usual satin varnish  that i use for small scale to help the colours pop . We have been playing Alter of Freedom from LWTV over the last year - it’s given us some great games . 

2 x Limber and 2x Caisson teams 



Next the 6 large mortars 




The 13 guns that are also completed 




And here is the Union artillery park as it currently stands .


Still another 18 guns to add at some point , but at least the limbers are done in advance.


I checked back on a previous post from 4 years ago when I last did limbers for  scoring these, plus there has been an upgrade in 10mm pts since then,

So here is the tally :-
gunners x 70 , unridden horses x8 = 78
mounted rider & horses x 10 = 30 
guns  x19 = 57
vehicles / limbers/etc x4 = 24
Seated crew on the limbers x12 = 6
 total = 195 to my total, and the little things duel

more next week I think 
 
***
 
Kaboom! That is a serious artillery park Dave, well done. As ever, I have much respect for any hobbyist who would tackle the utterly futile task of painting artillery limbers! That must be a very big game coming up indeed, and I have no doubt that it will look amazing with Pendraken figures - and that the Union commanders will be thrilled to have all of this additional firepower to assist them!
 
195 points of bombardment for you!
 
GregB 

22 comments:

  1. These look great! I especially love the color pop on the flags. I've been considering a glossier coat on some of my Age of Reason troops, this post sold me on the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worth a try I find it helps the look on the table top - I would suggest a Satin look as it’s just shiny enough !

      Delete
  2. Great stuff Dave, limbers always make batteries look so much better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not wrong - the upside of 10mm make this possible

      Delete
  3. they will do I suppose. You did, obviously, need loads more artillery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do , I do ! More , more , more … you know the way

      Delete
  4. That's quite a battery- those mortars are something else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - yes - not sure when they will used - but they needed to be bought!

      Delete
  5. Wow, the massed artillery is awesome and the wee limbers are so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent. Very jealous as I’ve just started down this road. Many figures to paint. These are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant Dave, the limbered pieces are awesome, but those mortarsare downright terrifying to look in the muzzle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent work Dave! I’m not fond of painting limbers but you have done a fine job on them, the standard bearers are a nice touch. And I love the mortars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I got the idea for the standards from a you tube video from a re-enactment of a battery moving - so nicked it!

      Delete
  9. 10mm you say? The details is fantastic. That last picture looks very imposing, and it is t even complete yet….

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup 10mm . Very economically viable! I may be too ambitious on 16 batteries .. but something tells I need em!

      Delete