Saturday 24 February 2024

From SebastianR: Hello sir, welcome to the [Gift Shop] (24 Points)

Finally, I can post the first think I painted, way back in January.

These are a friend's sci-fi buildings that I offered to paint for him as he wasn't sure how to approach them, and I wanted to practice with my airbrush.

 

They're a bizarre bit of manufacturing though. As far as we can tell they were designed and 3D printed, then cast in resin, which I suppose might be indicative of an old school manufacturer trying to incorporate more modern techniques, but it means that they have the worst features of both techniques, being made of resin but still showing the 3D print lines.

While this is a fascinating piece of design for manufacturing in action, it does mean no washes for me, just a jump into the unknown with a series of airbrush blends to try and liven up flat surfaces. I'm pretty happy with the results.

The buildings have already seen battle, twice, in my friends definitely not 6 Days War IN SPACE hybrid wargame/RPG.

Points wise, I made impromptu notes on what they measured piled together but I appear to have thrown away the card on which I made said notes, and all I have is this photo suggesting that one axis was ~7".

Assuming it's roughly 7*3*2 that's about a fifth of a 6" cube, giving my 4 points, and with 20 points for the challenge I can rake in 24 points

All that remains if for me to clear up my little mistake with oversized books and the way is open to Rare Books, for only the second time in my time with the challenge!

These buildings look really cool - are they 15mm scale? Or even 6mm? In any case they do look really good and are a suitable entry for the Gift Shop.

24 points for you, and looking forward to seeing a BIG MODEL in the Oversized Books stack! 

Dallas

7 comments:

  1. They look very atmospheric in action!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive, most impressive! Yeah I think you guys are right concerning the production process of these buildings, but hey they do look the part on the table! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work! Nice to see them in action so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great (and quick) airbrush work Sebastian. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well done. The buildings turned out nicely for airbrush practice.

    ReplyDelete