Saturday 20 February 2016

From MartinN - More 15mm Caesarian Romans (30 points)

I'm still alive and slowly beavering away on my 15mm Late Republican/ Caesarian Roman project for Impetus. Not much progress was made but I felt a sign of life was due.




First are a base of Germanic Skirmishers who will fight alongside my Romans as allies. As my mate ChrisS went for Germans as opponents for my Romans I decided it would only be logical for me to incorporate a few Germanic allies into my army. Probably from a tribe on loggerheads with Chris' band of unwashed barbarians. Nothing wrong with letting these uncivilised animals kill each other before sending in the legions to mop up afterwards, eh?



Miniatures are Forged in Battle again and I'm still impressed with the quality of their offerings. It wasn't till I was almost done with these when I realised I had painted their shields in the colours of my favourite football teams arch rivals. No harm though, this way it will only be easier to sacrifice them for the greater good I guess. Fortuna wills it.



The next base is of no real combat value in Impetus other than to be attached to another base in order to depict the unit to which the General is attached to. I would have loved to include a pair of Lictors (no, not the Tyranid ones from 40k) carrying their fasces to symbbolize the high ranking status of the general but unfortunately I wasn't able to track some down in 15mm. Well, at least not till the base was finished and I happened to stumble across *these*. Next time I'd say...



The General is supposed to depict Gaius Iulius Caesar, but in all honesty I don't see much of a resemblance here.



In order to not make it look silly when attaching the base to a unit of infantry I opted for a rather static pose with these miniatures.



So, that's it for today. All in all this entry should give me another whooping 30 points towards my goal but unfortunately not enough to catch up with ChrisS in our little side duel.
Stunning work Nick!
Same as last time, I initially looked at this entry without looking at the title and thought they were very fine 28s. But no, they're 15mm. Wow. Just wow.
I really like your German auxiliaries. They have that wild, untamed look, but yet the green of their shields ties them all together nicely. I also really like your Caesar command base.  I could immediately see the resemblance with his grey cropped hair and the regal purple of his armour. The decision to keep his base relatively static in pose is a good one, especially as he will be spending a lot of his time attached to infantry units.
Lovely work Nick!

16 comments:

  1. Your a great advert for the forged in battle minis, excellent work on these fine fellows

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are little works of Art. You paint 15mm better than many manage to paint 28mm (myself included).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great brushwork - more amazing ancients!

    ReplyDelete
  4. fantastic paintwork as always!
    it's incredible how you can improve the figures with your brushwork.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully done.. I love the big bases for these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely stunning Martin! They look like 28s!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done sir, gotta love it when your mate buys the other army to play against you that is usually motivation enough to get the army finished. Wish I had mates like that. Oh there is a Caesar mounted in the AB 18mm range from Eureka miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look fantastic Nick! I really do like the green and white option. Great tones on the figures as well and the command stand looks great. He looks like a convincing Caesar to me even if your a bit suspect.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, 15mm? Really inspiring painting and basing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ridiculously good. The detail you get on 15mm figures amazes me and leaked me realise that I should try harder with mine. Inspiring stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  11. As others have said before: it is hard to believe these are 15mm they are painted far better than many 28mm I have seen around!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing work for such a small scale! Could easily pass for 28mm's!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant work on them all! Beautiful minis packed with detail! Apparently I'm painting my 15mm stuff all wrong! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really nice work. Great to see. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great Stuff and I have to say letting the smelly savages see to eachother is always a good move.

    ReplyDelete