Monday 20 February 2017

From DaveD - Sudan - New South Wales Contingent Artillery Battery & RIF (327 points )

One of the things that I found really interesting about building forces for fighting in the Sudan was the variety of troops the British Empire pulled in to fight in it. The New South Wales government offered its support (LINK) to the imperial cause and an infantry battalion and artillery battery were mobilised. This was to become the first overseas deployment for Australian forces. They did not end up doing much fighting and had only very small losses as the British government abandoned any attempt to overthrow the Mahdi who had taken Khartoum after Gordons death.

Never the less they will still be represented - along with the infantry in due course and I am sure they will participate in some "what might have happened" scenarios. Of course they will also do service in some other colonial campaigns too. On checking through the actual service records of the deployment  - I find a certain Private Mills!




Battery Mascot George taking things easy by the limber

So here I have 3 deployed 9lb guns , 3 open and deployed limbers with 12 crew. The guns are the Perry 9lb set from their new Victoria's little wars sets. - I have replaced the cast metal firing lanyard with thinner twisty rope and soldered this into position so it nicely strong and rigid. Plus there is battery mascot "George" ,  complete with ceremonial coat. (See what I did there Paul O? - play the cute dog card in miniature form!). This is a limited edition figure produced by Jon at Ainsty for those who donated to his Combat Stress appeal


Well to move your guns you also need limber teams - of which there are 3 teams with 18 horses, 3 limbers , 3x 9lb guns - and 4 riders - there will be 9 riders eventually but due to a lead pile deficiency (hangs head in shame)  I thought - and still think I had some. So anyway I am awaiting on a mail from a manufacturer re sourcing some as part of pack so will just add these as and when I get some figures.  The riders I do have  are a mix of various mounted figures I had lying around.



The gun teams have had a lot of work with all the various traces. The rope is made from garden twisty wire - twisted together in a drill - I needed to made 6 feet of the darn stuff to make the 4 traces per teams these were then soldered into place and the wire is coated in solder which makes it rigid.  The riders have had milliput saddles made too. The limbers and horse teams are all by Tiger miniatures . The guns and crew are the Perry 9lb set from their new Victoria's little wars sets. I could have got a ready made limber set from Wargames Foundry , but I have seen it and it looked too small to me - I wanted this to be big! - I know.... I blame the sun....



The limbered teams may only spend a small amount of time on the table as that - and most definitely are an indulgence (a mite expensive one at that) - but they look the part so well when you do see them out. We recently had the limbered naval brigade teams on the table - and it just looked so much better than having deployed guns turned around the wrong etc!

I have also been working through a few bits fixing holes in the TO&E of units previously painted - one unit needing a few bit was  Royal Irish Fusiliers. I have completed two open order skirmish stands (6 figures) for them as they did not have any. Plus an additional 6 figure close order to flesh them out to 48 figures strong.





There is also another separate foot figure that was lying around undercoated so I gave it tickle with the brushes.




The 2nd battalion R.I.F. - now all up to to strength!


25 foot , 4 riders. = 145 points
18 horses + dog =  82 points
6 limbers , 6 guns - could be 120 points as they are separate items - , but I think more like 15 points per gun and limber set. = 90
plus any extras for OTT modelling work!

And for your further delectation I have completed a short video review of all the Imperial forces so far.




I think i have also managed to eak out another  week or so of production before the man cave shuts down for a while so i will see what i can squeeze in this next week..

MilesR: Good Lord my head is spinning - so many finely painted figures, so many different nationalities, so many brushes used up....   Yet another astonishing entry from you Dave.  My tally comes to 327!




43 comments:

  1. Wonderful points bomb Dave! :)

    I wonder if Private Mills is a cousin of Corporal Mills? Did the record you found mention his role? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers

      No only as private .. but I am investigating further

      Delete
  2. Brilliant stuff Dave - the lads of the Royal Australian Artillery Corps would be most honoured to be so remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's an impressive display of artillery. Wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who would have guessed Dave likes the Sudan?;-) As always lovely Sudan work to add your massive collection!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am starting this run out of things to do!

      Delete
  5. Great additions to your Armies Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Sudanly Last Summer: The Dave D Story"
    ; )
    Truly epic stuff Dave, looks like another extension to the table is called for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The very reason I am currently moving to a new improved mancave

      Delete
  7. Wonderful stuff again Dave! I didn't know that there were Aussies in Sudan. Do you have Canadian voyageurs for the river boats? The labour or love on the guns and teams is amazing. I don't want to think about what would happen if it tried to spin six feet or wire strands with a power drill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter - i have the boats , just need some Voyageur figures... on the to do list!

      Delete
  8. Cor! That is some gorgeous, gorgeous work Dave. I love the attention to detail you put into the battery and it's limbers. Absolutely sumptuous stuff, my friend. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers... sometimes you just have to do something OTT.. I enjoyed doing these

      Delete
  9. Brilliant stuff! That artillery is marvellous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great stuff, good to see some Australiana.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did it again, awesome Dave, just plain awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great looking artillery and limbers and there was me worried you were going to run out of Sudan stuff to do!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha ... still got a bit of life in it yet!

      Delete
  13. I am truly awe inspired by your Sudan collection both the quality of the painting and the historical research that you've put in. Really top notch stuff.

    Good luck on the relocation to the new man cave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miles - its been a real fun journey with it .. and now starting to get some great games as well.

      Hopefully the new cave will be up and running - if not fully functional by Easter.. plumbing works going on today in it!

      Delete
    2. oh and its a least double the size of the existing one!

      Delete
  14. StonKing wonderful, Dave! Fantastic detail work on the artillery!
    I sumise that perhaps we now do know how corporal Millsy aquire a shovel....with all those horses, that is a massive load to shift. It would also explain the promotion from pvt! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have you got a big enough table for all these beauties Dave????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes.... access to a stinking big table Ray

      Delete
  16. The limbered battery alone is breathtaking

    ReplyDelete
  17. Replies
    1. I even contemplated trying to get some LEDs in the barrels ?. Next time I think

      Delete
  18. Private Mills would be honoured to serve with such stout chaps!

    As an aside, the only fatal casualties they contingent suffered were all through illness, most of which happened on the way home. Not a particularly heroic record for our first foray overseas...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's frequently the way isn't it.

      Glad you like em matey ,

      Delete
  19. I so want to play on that table with those minis, this is some great work, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, who would have guessed it? DaveD with some more wonderful additions to his already spectacular Sudan project ;-)

    ReplyDelete