Wednesday 24 January 2018

From DaveD - 6mm Terrain - Cold War gone Hot - 23 points..

I have been covering a range of projects this week , one of them being some more terrain bits for the Cold War gone Hot era in West Germany. Having played a first game its got us looking the other bits we me need - more buildings was early shout out.

All the buildings are by Leven

Central town section - complete with adverts - the base is 6" x 5"

Central town with the car park view

One of the challenges for doing more modern stuff , is a proper road network - not just dirt tracks - and likewise into villages and towns. I used Powerpoint to create a road net markings and pavements etc. piece the same shape as the area required and stuck them on to the base mdf . I was particularly pleased with yellow hatched and parking area in the industrial sections. I even found myself thinking about street furniture , traffic lights etc... that's the perils of having been a railway modeller in my time too . I love these little detail projects


Industrial area  
For now I have left walls off while I sort out more buildings sections to make a larger join together type town. - Luckily I have a wargame show coming up!

Industrial area

Church and large barn building

Couple, of bridges
I am not over impressed (but they will do for now) with the actual bridge size as they seem a little on the small side - so i will be poking around some actual model rail ones for something more fitting...

Well that wil gave the NATO forces of Martin and James somewhere to hide their pesky infantry and ATGW sections - good job Comrade Docovich has some new heavy artillery on the way eh...

Altogether it all  pretty much fills a terrain cube unit - so 20 points

From Ray

Beautiful work Comrade. The detail in some of these pieces is amazing. I can see why you could get really carried away with the small details. I do like the box junction (hatching), very clever.
Just wondered being in logistics, how's are the poor delivery drivers going to drop of their cargo with nowhere to park!
Are you sure your buildings are not not in London! The Box Junction capitol of the world!
Nice to see Aldi making an appearance too, they seem to crop up everywhere nowadays!

I do feel a little stingy only giving you 20 points for all this work, its not a lot but I'm going to add an extra 3 points, making a total of 23 points

Parts 2 & 3 later today


17 comments:

  1. I think you made an excellent woirk out of those materials. Will look very good in a wargame table

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Dave - love the period adverts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff and as Peter said the advertising realy adds to the look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Dave. You are right, one challenge in doing the Cold-War-Gone-Hot setting is to find those terrain elements that jolt the gamers into the modern setting - highways, advertising, modern buildings, hydro towers etc. I think you have succeeded here, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. Indeed there are lots of different items that will need to are an appearance. Looking for power pylons at the moment.

      Delete
  5. Some lovely bit to help set the stage. I really like that car park area. Wonderful work Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice stuff. Would be great to have an actual Aldi store in my town LOL! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice looking scenery, the yellow box works well and I can imagine the draw of extra detailing!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning work. The Leven buildings are looking great, I really should grab some :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spiffing terrain Dave, the commercial advertising is spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent work, Dave! The buildings certainly add to the scene and dress the table well!
    I've been tempted often by the team Yankee stuff and I have a surplus of Ho/oo scale train kits to get it started! ;)

    ReplyDelete