Wednesday 24 January 2018

From DaveD - P3 -Sudan - 79th Queens Own Cameron Highlanders & Camels 275 points - ish!!

I am at last back to full production and have a few posts for today . I started this unit on the very first day of the challenge because I knew it was going to be a time soak due to sheer complexity - please someone invent tartan paint.  Cameron tartan is a complete swine to paint - more than the others due to the various colours - with 8 different colour operations just for the kilt (that's one more than a whole Mahdist warband takes for goodness sake) . So you could say I am glad to have them done!

This unit is another large British unit for the collection in the traditional red tunic - the 79th fought at the battle of Ginnis in red , the last battle where it was worn- well who doesn't like a big unit of highlanders in red - unless you are on the receiving end I guess. The unit is 48 foot figures and and mounted officer - all Perry 28mm metals. I still need to do a skirmish company for them , and will pick the figures up shortly.



Steady lads - has anyone seen the latrine wallah Millsy? 


They complete the final Highland unit for the campaign - I already have the Black Watch and Gordons completed. 

Phew - 250 points base - there must be a bonus for tartan right..." HHMMM!...."

I have noticed a distinct lack of camels around these parts - so time to start rectifying that. 

For Xmas my good friends Ian and Kay decided to surprise me with some figures - they chose a camel baggage train from Castaway Arts - a fine choice as I continue to build up the main baggage  train toward 50 camels... 





So 25 points of camel goodness... - so it begins...back to more dusty stuff I go 

Oh and 3 posts should have Miles twiddling his spreadsheet o'doom.. he he...

From Ray

Good grief, he's back with vengeance!!!!
Comrade Dave will soon be Challenging you top 10 Boys and Girls for a place on the podium, I feel it in my bones!
Expert painting Dave, I'm all one for historical accuracy but 8 colours per figure for just the tartan, "Are you Mad?!?"
I'd like to see a close up of one of the kilts if we can please? Did I ask if you were mad?
Talking of mad I thought I read a 50 camel Baggage train is on the cards? Can't be? Surly not?

49 foot figures = 245
3 Camels = 25 inc rider
5 bonus Tartan points

Total 275 Points



25 comments:

  1. You're a glutton for punishment Dave, but the effort was well worth it - lovely boys in skirts! :)

    @ Ray - I think you've missed the mounted officer when working out the points. Not to mention being a bit stingy with the tartan bonus - 48 8-colour kilts for just 5 points? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah .,, ! Told you he struggles counting when he gets past 21...

      Delete
  2. Lovely work Dave! Eight colours - I'd have been simplifying that down to a more manageable leverl. There's no need for Ray to ask if you're mad - the question is ouyr we close enough for the madness to be contagious.
    Lovely camels too - no fancy haircuts and I trust no Botox injections (see BBC and Guardian stories for today).

    Cheers,
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Ray ...a 50 camel baggage train... I have 40 already painted!

    Yes I am mad.... I will stick a close up on the Facebook and G+ page?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! Most impressive work on the tartan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a glorious sight. Fantastic stuff Dave! Good on you in grinding out this unit - that must have been a chore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very impressive they look great awesome that you are finally up to speed

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tartan should get a bonus, for sure. Very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic looking force Dave. Terrific job on the tartan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So it hasn't all been Cold war Gone Hot after all! I was wondering when we were going to see some more Sudan campaign figs! Tartan has been a bugbear of mine over the years, but this is awesome work. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful madness - I love 'em! Lovely painting with a higher than usual degree of difficulty. Well done that Man!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Back with a vengeance for sure great stuff Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was incredible, just astonishing stuff Dave - thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great bunch of jocks!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning world Dave, the scale of this project is amazing. Knowing how much work tartan is, I think Ray has been pretty stingy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great work Dave and nice to see some more Sudan stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh , still plenty to go at .. there will be more along later ..

      Delete
  16. Wonderful stuff, Dave! The tartan may have been a slog, but the end result is well worth it. They look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete