Friday 21 December 2018

From MilesR: and so it begins, Spanish Generals in 15mm (12 Points)


My first entry in this year's Challenge is Napoleonic in nature.  Two Spanish command stands.  The single figure is a Brigade command unit and the pair on a slightly larger base is meant to be used for a Division.  The figures are 15mm in scale and from AB Miniatures via Eureka USA.
I have developed a real affinity to 15mm Napoleonic miniatures.  One can really stage a true spectacle on the tabletop and they are fun to paint up.  On a more practical side, 15's are a lot more efficient to store which is becoming my binding constraint with my hobby.

As with past Challenges, number IX will be focused on finishing out the forces I need to stage a series of large participation games this summer at Historicon.  The game will be Napoleonic themed (but perhaps not strictly historical.....) and I'll need a lot of figures.

The best figures I've discovered for 15mm Nappy's are AB - they are simply superb and my adoration of them rivals what I feel for the Perry brothers miniatures (in a totally non-creepy, manly gamer way).  The bulk of the my projected forces, however, will be from Old Glory's Blue Moon line of Napoleonic which are nice figures but an order of magnitude cheaper, especially if one purchases an Old Glory Army membership for a year.  That membership costs $50.00 US but I've saved many more times that in recent purchases.

So how many figures will I need this summer - probably close to 3,000 +/-.  How many do I have done "pre-challenge" maybe 2,400ish but I cheated with more than half of those as they were purchase pre-painted (I feel soooo ashamed).  Here's a glimpse of some of the French infantry in the troop cabinet:

One can never have too many Napoleonic miniatures - can one?  If any of you ever meet my wife the answer is emphatically NO!

I believe this submission will net me me 12 points for 3 mounted figures in 15mm scale.

Good luck everyone - I am very excited that the madness has commenced again!

Back to the painting bench!







____________________________________

It wouldn't be a Painting Challenge without Miles closely following-up my opening salvo - it's always wonderful o have you on the roster, sir.

These are very nice, Miles. I'm entirely in your camp in the admiration of the amazing castings that AB produces - they are all little gems, more like 28s (if not better in many cases). The officer is the broad brimmed hat is excellent. You've done a terrific job on these two command stands. I especially like the punchy colours you've used, especially the reds and russets. These smaller scales always seem to benefit going with a more saturated colour palette like you've done here. 

Well done Mr. Reidy! 12 points to start your meteoric climb up the points ladder. :)


19 comments:

  1. Well your not wrong Miles.. you always need more Napoleonic figures ..it’s really not a skirmish game!. Nice start

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice worka and I love that I love the table cover too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely looking Napoleonic command! So it's just the 600 troops you need to finish the force off? What's next week's work then? Admirable work with your reserve brushes too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool, just what you need 1000s more figures

    ReplyDelete
  5. AB are very nice figures and you have done them proud

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great start to your campaign Miles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great start Miles, even if you do have to cope with substandard brushes. I'm with Curt on the gaucho like irregular lancer character. Looking forward to many many more.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great first entry Miles. AB are superb aren't they, I've got a few regiments of French and Italians in my to do list this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome Miles! Looking forward to pushing these little fellows around at Historicon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely work Miles - and I share your feelings about the Perrys!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice! The Spanish never seem to get that much attention compared to some of the other participants of the Napoleonic period. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your force.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely figures, terrain, and storage trays!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely little 15mm Naps, Miles, and that drawer photograph is equally as impressive. Great start.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nicely done, Miles! They look smashingly grand with teddy bear fur field. You cannot possibly have too many miniatures of any variety! ;)

    ReplyDelete