Friday 21 December 2018

Challenge IX Begins -The start of the Fellowship - Frodo and Sam



Welcome to the 9th edition of the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge! 

In keeping with tradition, I'm opening the show with our first entry. You see, it allows me to both play the gracious, bumbling host, and, even for just a few hours, place myself on the top of the heap in the points standings. :)


_____________________________________________

This past summer I began reading through the Tolkien canon following the chronological order of the stories. As I've not read the core books since my childhood the process has largely been a study in nostalgia. 

In working through the books what really impressed me was the tremendous importance Tolkien placed on value of allies, friends and companionship. This made me reflect that I'm very thankful for all the great friends I've made over the past eight years of the Challenge, and I resolved to make 'Fellowship' serve as the overarching theme for this edition. I think we all deserve some good camaraderie after what has been a rather bruising year, and I hope we can all add a few more over the coming months.

Right, enough faffing - onto my first entry. 

Here we have the starting pair of the 'Fellowship of the Ring', Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee. 




These are from the original metal range offered by Games Workshop at the start of the Peter Jackson trilogy. I have some of the more recent plastics, and while the animation and quality is quite good I find they still lack the crispness and definition of the early metal sculpts. 



Of course source material for the painting was easy to come by, with loads of books and movie stills available both in the home library and on the net.

The big base is a limited edition resin cast of Balin's Tomb which was offered by GW after the release of the first film. I actually forgot I had it, being it was buried in the shadowy depths of the Lead Shed. I only discovered when I was looking for some LotR figures after  being inspired re-reading the books.  




It's a nicely crafted piece, with loads of detail and nifty labeled base-slots for each of the nine companions of The Fellowship. I did a quick series of layered coats with the airbrush, a few washes and then picked out the details with a fine brush. I wasn't wild about the GW branding so I just left it black, but I did a bit of ink blending with 'The Fellowship' raised label and the character names to give them a graduated red-gold effect.



My plan is to add the remaining members to the Fellowship over the duration of the Challenge, hopefully completing it before we wrap-up in March.





So, that makes it 10 points for Frodo and Sam and let's say another 10 for the base, as its roughly half of a 6 x 6 cube of terrain. So 20 points to begin my climb to my target of 1200. Woo. 

Well, to paraphrase Bilbo, every great adventure begins with a first step. :)

Again, welcome to the Painting Challenge everyone! 

I'm going to grab a bit of sleep and then I'll start posting entries in earnest. 

Confirm. Confirm. We have wheels up and brushes free! 

42 comments:

  1. Very nice work I was expecting Lord of the Rings for the first entry and you did not disappoint. That's an excellent display base.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice painting work and such a good idea! I also was expecting something LoTR related. Incidentally, I also started re-reading again some of Tolkieen works in late September, first the Silmarillion and now some of the Lost Tales and complementary materials... great minds think alike! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice entry sir! I also hit the ground running (starting at 6am here in the UK) and got a couple of hours painting done before heading into work. I should have my first entry complete this evening, which is something of a record for me.

    Best of luck to everyone taking part this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent start! I'll be submitting my initial entry in a few moments but it pales in comparison to yours. The base is really well done also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A cracking beginning to what will no doubt be another fantastic and banter filled challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful entry, Curt! It's an inspiring and excellent start for 3 months of painting, modelling, more painting, friendship, and more painting... and then a bit more painting. Good luck everyone!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cracking start Curt, brushes are free !
    Well they would be if I wasn't working a 12 hour shift overnight ! Curse you employment

    ReplyDelete
  8. excellent as always. I sit at my painting desk, slightly less hung over than 3 hours ago and considerably less drunk. I am wondering how I hurt the middle finger on my left hand. Still, time to start painting now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Martin - perhaps you should try painting, well umm, "under the influence". You may discover a new artistic form - it's probably how Picaso got started and look how that worked out for him.

    Just make sure to lock up the Xacto blades before starting your "experiment"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely work Curt - an excellent (in theme) start to this year's Challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cracking start Curt, smashing base too so I have to admire your foresight in purchasing it for just such an occasion ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Already? I just started doing the base coats on my first batch.

    Impressive work and an excellent fitst entry.

    I'd better get back to my brushes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still clearing my desk from a "quick" project started two weeks ago. Of course I've only had time to sit at it twice since then! ;)

      Delete
  13. Nice work on the base and the Hobbits, Curt! I agree the metal sculpts are superior models...but I do wish I had the Sam armed with the frying pan!
    I like base with the graphic lettering too. The debris all over it is a nice feel...just needs the goblin war cries echoing closer...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely pair of hobbits! What fun, just popping out in my lunch break to get some paint, best of luck to everyone!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great start Curt! Great to see this bird get off the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great start! That base is a nice way of tracking the Fellowship progress

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great first entry! Lovely figs and base. Inlook forward to seeing them all done at the end of the challenge..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great start! Сurt, as always, shows a high level of beauty, quality, and speed!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm in awe of the quality and speed - lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Excellent work, Curt, and the AHPC is off to a great start :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Referee! These are hobbits they are only 15mm size! Half points surely M’Snowlord

    But hey seriously .. nice job , good start

    ReplyDelete
  22. Duels Wallah! I believe that gives the Snowlord a tick on squirrel-ometer

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for all the kind words everyone! Now, let's get cracking with the brushes, eh? I look forward to seeing all your entries!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great start and a perfect choice

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great starting entry for this challenge! The base looks awesome as do your two hobbits. I‘m eagerly looking forward to see the rest of the band in the coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great first entry Curt with two iconic characters from Lord of the Rings.

    I have these figures in the lead pile however was thinking of starting with something a little older.

    Great start!

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amazing entry as always Curt. I don't usually stray from historical figures, but the LOTR fellowship figures are one set which is on my to do list. I love the black background as well, really brings out the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well done and well said Dude - I agree, there is not a single plastic figure in existence that would not be better as a metal figure! Great stuff.

    And your treatment of the GW logo is spot on...

    ReplyDelete
  29. A fitting start as always Curt.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Very nice- I’ve got that base and was thinking of getting around to it. I like your approach to the lettering. I wish I had the metal figures, I’ve got the plastics.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such a lovely start Curt, bravo Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Very nice indeed. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the Fellowship join them in due course!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great start Curt! That's a very nice looking pair of hobbits!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Curt, very nice beginning. Your lead shed is bigger than my apartment, I think! Best of the season to all AHPC participants!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wonderful beginning to a new saga of Fellowship! Well done Curt.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks again for everyone's kind words. It's a very nice way to kick-off this year's fun.

    ReplyDelete