Saturday 16 March 2019

From Barks: Curtgeld and other madness (95 points)

My Curtgeld this year is Tolkien's go-to monster: a giant spider. I did the beady eyes gloss, but it doesn't really show as well as I would like. This is a metal Reaper miniature on a 60mm base. I've left the base simple for Curt's flocking pleasure.


I'm also happy to have knocked out some more figures for Mansions of Madness:

Spy, jazz musician, sailor, waitress

Warlocks

Dimensional Shamblers

The Formless Spawn is supposed to be a protoplasmic tarry black blob. I painted it dark grey with a rattle can overspray in grey and white, then a black ink. I wasn't sure how to do the eyes, but they came out OK. I'm thinking about giving them a gloss coat. It is on an 80mm base.

Formless Spawn


I should also gloss coat these Deep Ones. They're a bit larger and on 30mm bases.


So, I'm claiming:

Spider 25 points incl. Curtgeld
Formless Spawn 12 points
Deep Ones 12 points
Everyone else 40 points

Total 89 points

Tamsin:

Whewie! That's some great painting Barks! I love the black on those two warlocks.

Thanks for your suggested scoring, but we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm scoring the formless spawn as a 28mm vehicle and the deep ones as 40mm foot. Add on the Curtgeld points and that's 94 points, not 89. And because I don't like seeing totals indivisible by 5 I'll add another point. And I won't brook any dissent from you, so there!

22 comments:

  1. "Barks has painted two male witches!"
    "Warlocks."
    "It's true I tell you Sir!"
    ; )
    Great work on these figs Barks, really lovely stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tamsin, you’re crazed with power! The altitude has gone to your head!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow those are really nice. Where are the figures from as I am not sure if they are from the MoM sets. The Deep Ones which look great are different than the ones I have. Love the Formless Spawn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John! They’re all from the latest MoM expansion, ‘Horrific Journeys’.

      Delete
  4. I really like all this painting work shown here. The Deep Ones specially, fantastic green tones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Benito! I’m quite happy with them, too.

      Delete
  5. Cracking stuff. Your work this year has been proper eye candy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really great work Barks. I second Dave’s comments on the quality of your output this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic work! Love the deep ones,t th characters are all excellent!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are really very good, very atmospheric. The four civilians and the two warlocks especially are fantastic! And then that jazz musician!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic! Thanks so much for the Giant Spider Barks (BTW, the beastie arrived a few days ago). Also loving those MoM figures. Just picked up Horrific Journeys and am looking forward to giving it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little reminder of our furry friends Down Under.

      Delete
  10. Wonderfully horrific variety here. I think you should be especially pleased with the warlocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Noel- they’re not the most evil looking figures.

      Delete
  11. Well done Barks! Those Dimensional Shamblers and the Deep Ones are my favourites of the bunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Moiterei! They certainly grew on me as I painted them.

      Delete