Saturday 16 March 2019

From Curt: LotR Warg Riders (20 Points)


Just a short post before we head out the door to visit me ma. 

Here are two Lord of the Rings Warg Riders. These are metal castings from the early releases and were a real joy to work on. 


Funny enough, I've had these two bad lads done since the first few weeks of the Challenge, but I wanted to bulk them out with a few more models to make a more substantial force. Anyway, I made the mistake of picking up a box of the newish plastic ones and, well, what can I say but: Ewww.  



It's not that the plastic models are that bad, but after working on the earlier, crisply sculpted metal guys the new ones really suffer in comparison. So much so that they're still sitting 75% done on my desk.  Sigh. I know I won't be able to muster the will to get them done before the end of the Challenge, so I figure I'd best run with these guys for now. 

I had a bit of fun with the fur coats on these two wargs, making them a little more punchy and hyena-like than in the drab beasts in the movies.


Maybe later this spring I'll get the other six done to join up with these, but they'll have to wait for now as I have a couple other entries I want to get done before we call it a wrap next Wednesday.  

Okay, these chaps should give me 20 more points for my painful climb to my 1200 point goal...

Tamsin, thanks for scoring me in and being the Trolly Dolly today - much appreciated. See you folks in a couple of days. Have a great weekend and paint hard!

Curt

________________________________

Tamsin:

Look, Captain Campbell, there's absolutely no reason for you to have popped back into the cockpit. As you can see, I'm completely in control of this flight. What do you mean "But, we're upside down!"? Tsh!

Magnificent work on the wargs and riders. The beasties look quite ferocious, as do the puppies they are riding.

20 points you say? Hmm, that's divisible by 5...

Tell you what, I'll deduct a point from each for disturbing me in the cockpit and then add 2 bonus points back to make it divisible by 5 again. Now, for the last time, flying upside down is perfectly normal and safe, so you can go on your little road trip in the full knowledge that we'll be here when you return.

22 comments:

  1. Lovely job MrC... pity about the demotivating plastic..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. Yes, the quality of the plastic models really took the wind out of my sails.

      Delete
  2. Lovely work Curt! Say hello to your mum for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter we had a very nice (and food-filled) visit with her.

      Delete
  3. Nice wargs,lovely Orcs!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful as ever, have fun at your mum's

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific work on these Tolkien villains, Curt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, the plastic wargs are not exciting to paint - and won't reward the brush anywhere near what you've achieved here, Curt. Brilliant characterisation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I saw how good yours were and thought I could steam through and get them done but I lost my bottle near the end. They'll get done sooner or later.

      Delete
  7. Very nice done Curt. I remember my son Simon painting these models many years ago. They were some of my favourite LOTR figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, very nice. Good memories of early hobby days.

      Delete
  8. They look both absolutely terrific and terrifying at the same time. Mission accomplished I‘d say!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful wargs! The plastic ones look fine en masse, but they're not nicely priced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right Barks, they'll look fine when they're all mobbed up.

      Delete
  10. Great work Dude. And yes...the worst plastics in the world are often the plastic versions of figure that were once metal! That said, once you find the time/motivation, I'm sure you'll find a way to power through the disappointing plastics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dude. Yeah, they'll get done. I just need to dream up a scenario for them and it'll happen.

      Delete