Saturday 23 March 2019

From LeeH - AHPC IX Body of Work

The Challenge is over and I have that empty feeling that follows the hectic activity of the last three months. There is a void in my life and the only thing that will fill it is to start planning for Challenge Ten! But first I need to cap off this year's festival of painting with a 'Body of Work' photo. Its been mixed bag from me this year, with additions to several existing armies rather than starting a new project. My original target of 600 points was smashed fairly early and everything on my original to-do list has been completed.



So, I think a breakdown is required although I am aware that I'm probably the only one that will be interested in this. I racked up a total score of 845 Points and reached 31st place. Neither of these figures is a personal best, but considering I was also the Tuesday Minion, I'm pretty happy with that tally. I even managed to take a week off for a family holiday in the middle of the Challenge (as I keep reminding the wife whenever she rolls her eyes at my latest project).


Period

Zulu War    12.1% (102 Points)
Fantasy      18.6% (157 Points)
Punic War   27.9% (236 Points)
WWI           7.3%  (62 Points)
WWII          34.1% (288 Points)

Scale
6mm          40%  (338 Points)
15mm        38%  (321 Points)
28mm        17.6%  (149 Points)
40mm        4.4%  (37 Points)

Stats aside, and on a personal level, this has been the best Challenge I have taken part in. I have managed to get a lot of 'lead' painted - far more than I would alone - and have added to several existing armies in my collection. There is always more that can be done, so don't be surprised if more AZW units turn up in Challenge Ten.

Slightly amazed at how much I have painted!

Aside from the obvious joy of getting stuff painted, I have also been able to participate (in a small way) to the competition itself and that has been enormous fun. Being a minion was both a rare privilege and a great responsibility and it has given me a whole new perspective on a competition I thought I knew well. I've said it before but I'd like to thank all of the Tuesday Terrors for being such a great team and for letting me adjudicate their incredible entries. And while I'm in 'Oscars' mode, I'd also like to thank Curt, the Great Snow Lord himself, for running this madness every year. It is the highlight of my hobby year and the other nine months are a pale shadow by comparison. 

18 comments:

  1. Well done Lee - another great set of work for this Challenge. Just don't let all the glamour of being a minion go to your head. Sure, all of the temptations that come with being a celebrity (as you are now) are enticing and fun but only in moderation - don't go off the deep end and check into "Hotel Vallejo" where you can put the paint on your fingers but it never washed off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glamour? No one told me there was Glamour on offer as well...

      Delete
  2. A great body of work Lee, and thanks for your hard work as minion for the Tuesday Terrors (I *knew* that if I kept repeating it often enough someone else would start using it!). See you at Salute in 2 weeks time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely big collection of work! Not just teeny tiny figures either!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Mr H. You've painted loads which I found difficult when I was a minion last time round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate. It's been a busy few months for sure.

      Delete
  5. Being a minion for the Tuesday mob must have been a lot of hard work. In spite of that you've still managed an impressive range of painted figures. I understand what you mean about the empty feeling after all that work. I've found that buying new minis has helped me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I've already put in a couple of orders. Gotta replenish the lead mountain!

      Delete
  6. Haha! That's a great set of pics. An excellent haul of beautifully painted minis (and I really like seeing where are the magic occurs). Thanks so much for agreeing to be the Tuesday minion this year, I knew you'd do a terrific job and you came through with flying colours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great effort this year Lee. I'm looking with a different eye to the small scales due to your work here and Sidney Roundwood's latest participation in two well know podcasts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All this and minioning too! Terrific work, Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful stuff Lee - I've enjoyed seeing it all appear throughout the challenge (though the idea of painting all those tiny Zulus made me shudder!)

    Its an elite crew of Minion Veterans you have now joined. Therapy is available twice per week and is highly recommended

    ReplyDelete
  10. Top effort Lee, especially when you add in the Minion job as well, if I could award you some bonus points I would, cheers Ken

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great collection, Lee. Definitely you should feel pleased with yourself. I echo your feeling of a post-Challenge void - we've 9 months now to fill with planning for number X, I guess.

    ReplyDelete