Thursday 7 March 2019

From NoelW for Thursday: Roman even further (200 points)


Three short posts this week.

As Martin has already reported, it was Hammerhead in Newark (UK) last Saturday – a great show, though a horrible distraction from precious painting time, as well as the inevitable addition to the lead pile. I thought I’d taken only a small shopping list but, don’t you know how such things always turn out?

The Roman army I’ve been building through the Challenge so far has lacked all auxiliaries, and has no cavalry. Hey! What’s in that file box underneath all the others at the Tabletop Sale?

I was really lucky, for it contained both, in plastic, although in rather battered condition, with many missing pieces, broken weapons etc. Even so, I was able to make up a unit of 8 cavalry, and an auxiliary infantry unit of 22 figures. Both are rather irregular in composition, weapons, etc, but I rather like that – it suggests veteran units that have configured themselves over the years according to personal preference.

Here’s the cavalry:





And the infantry:




I'm not entirely certain of manufacturer, but I assume that most, if not all, are Warlord. There was an almost empty Victrix sprue in the box, so possibly some elements of these units are Victrix figures.

I also discovered a trio of mounted Roman generals deep in my collection, so I selected one to accompany this new force. I chose him because he rather resembles me, sans spectacles - an old timer who should really have retired long ago, but still plodding along. He's also armed with what might perhaps be referred to as a “wargames club”.




That’s nine cavalry = 90 points, and 22 infantry = 110 points. Total 200 pts.

Lovely work Noel! The cavalry and the commander are splendid and the infantry are great!All the varied transfers have come out really well too!
I agree wholeheartedly with your points, 200 points it is !

All the best Iain 

8 comments:

  1. Good additions to the collection. What rules are you planning on using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably going with Hail Caesar, as I already have them. However, am pretty out of touch with current thinking on ancients rules, so all suggestions welcome.

      Delete
  2. Nice Romans Noel.. Your commander is carry was referred to as a Morale Improvement Tool, use to encourage one's troops to do better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Noel - always great to see Romans in the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work Noel, love the shields.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice and those shields really do pop out on you!

    ReplyDelete