Thursday 7 March 2019

From PeterD House Renos Challenge Edition (20 points )


Earlier this year, Curt presented me with two 28mm Normandy Farmhouses from Northern Lights Terrain, run by ByronM.  This was meant to be a trade, and I'm still waiting to hear who the player to be named later will turn out to be.  Hopefully my end of the trade won't be a Dark Pact of a Live Liver Donation ala Monty Python's Meaning of Life.

While Byron makes terrific buildings, his farmhouses were considerably bigger than the 28mm houses I already had from Sarissa.  So I decided that I could upscale their occupants to better fit their larger size.  Here's the end result for the first of these building, intended to be a home of a family of the lesser nobility.
Original vs modified Northern Lights buildings vs Sarissa.

Modifications were as follows.
  1. I took took the interior floor out and glued the upper and lower stories together.   Actually, it fell out on its own, but having the solid walls made the detailing easier.
  2. I added timber framing to the upper story and stone work corner details to the lower story using heavy bond paper from Michael's.
  3. I covered over the gaps in the masonry showing brickwork underneath.  Again I used the same paper, adding the impression of more stonework on the lower level.
  4. I removed the existing front door and replaced it with a more substantial stonework door from Wizkids.  The Wizkids door had a gargoyle head over the arch and I removed this leaving a space for a family crest.  I also had to trim the back half of the sill to make it sit flush on the wall.
  5. I added a backdoor using a piece from a Terrain Crates kit, again trimming the sill to make it go flush.
  6. Then I painted it up representing stone work lower story with timber framed upper story.  The wife thought the roof needed moss so I added that too, along with a trailing rose bush up the back wall.
   




My attempt at a lion rampant looks more like a T-Rex rampant over the door.
This model pretty much fills a 6" cube so that's 20 points by my count.

What a splendid building! It's certainly substantial! Nice shutters and additional details, this imposing edifice earns you 20 points!

All the best Iain 

18 comments:

  1. Reading about adventures in terrain always re-invigorates me...to never touch terrain ever.

    Fine work Peter, great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a lot of fun with this one Greg. Thanks for the comments

      Delete
  2. Very nice Peter, great conversion work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Peter. I like the modifications you did to the base model, especially the door swaps and the creeping rose. If you do another one similar in the future, I've found that a thin skim coat of Liquitex texture gel does a great job in replicating plasterwork (it also helps humanize the laser-sharp edges inherent to these models).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt. The doors sell the more imposing inhabitants to my mind and the rose fills an empty bit of wall. I'll remember the texture gel trick for next time. I

      Delete
  4. Excellent looking buildings and some lovely detailing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. While s9me (cough Greg, cough Curt) seem to despair with BUA but have a lot of fun with the detailing.

      Delete