Thursday 23 January 2020

EricM -28m Late Romans and The Last of the Slaves to Darkness

I had planed to shift away from the late Romans for a bit, but the last group of Limitanei had to be finished.   These are all Wargames Foundry figures.  While they are nice sculpts I have come to hate the figures.  Most of my trouble is self inflicted.  I decided to base the close order foot 4 to a base and paint them on the base.  It seemed like a time saver.  I cant say that it saved time but it did make painting them no fun.  My second issue is I discovered that I mounted the second rank shield men with their shields in the wrong position.   They should be over the head of the kneeling front rank.  At some point I may go back and correct the shield placement but that would also require re-basing, but as I type this I am realizing I perfectly happy with them the way they are.


Some close ups of the heavy foot



The supporting light troops



The second unit I completed this week was the last of the Games Workshop Slaves of Darkness set.  The sculpts are a marvel but it does require an engineering degree to figure out how to put these guys together.   GW should be confidant no one will have the production skill to pirate these guys.  They have really taken their model kits to a new level.  For example one model piece includes the riders left arm, shield , reins and half of the horses head.  It was a little counter intuitive to me but once you get used to the methodology they went together nicely.  Lots of detail (maybe even too much)


 They ended up a little more gray than I would have liked.  I think i started a shade too light on my gray highlights.


A couple close ups






I really like these figures but I am glad to be done with them.
 
Total for the week 24-28mm foot  5-28mm-Mounted.

Thanks for looking 

Eric these are marvellous, love the shields, just about to start a late Roman army myself . As for the Slave of Darkness they are brilliant

12 comments:

  1. Great work Eric. In particular I am LOVING these late Romans...so cool! Getting hard to resist diving into something new...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work on both sets of figures, I love the shields on the Romans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Eric. I feel the pain on the “time saving” basing idea, been there done that got the Nope T-shirt. Also on the shields, I once painted an entire unit of left handed Thracians because I put their shield on the wrong arm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really great work Eric. The late Romans look terrific, the shields clinch it, and the Chaos warriors are suitably terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome stuff Eric, I specially like the Slaves of Darkness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have got the Wargames Foundry Late Romans also - I like the painting you have done on these. Personally don think you can buy whole units in a shield raised position anyway so would not worry about it as they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great stuff Eric. Gotta love the Chaos Warriors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking late Romans and splendid chaos Warriors!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work on both of these.

    ReplyDelete