Thursday 23 January 2020

DaveS - Slow going (40pts)

My start this year to the challenge has been a lot slower than my first one.  This has been due to a combination of work stresses, having started devoting time to some exercise again, and, if I'm honest, playing computer games rather than painting.
One of my goals for the challenge was to get my American Civil War Unionists done for Sharp Practice.  They were built a little while ago, and full of enthusiasm, using the airbrush to get the base blue down, followed by washes and highlights.  And then I stuck.  They sat on the desk, mocking me, and I couldn't seem to get on and get them done.  So I decided that if I could get ONE group done, it would be easier.  And it was.  I now feel like I have a grip on how I am going to paint them, and should be able to drive through over the next few days.
So without further ado, my first group of Union Infantry.




There are another 32 of these with trousers and coats already painted, plus skirmishers (and officers I've yet to buy or build!).  But for now, this should be

8x28mm Infantry = 40 points

These are lovely, as it's Gentleman's plus Tamsin's and Ray's rules I will take it that these were only primed prior to the challenge starting

13 comments:

  1. Just to clarify these were built and primed, but unpainted before the challenge. In fact, they sat on a shelf taunting me daily while I waited for the challenge to start. I did all of the jackets and trousers in one go as almost the first thing I did post start, and then they sat there, with me suffering a complete mental block on them, until I decided that smaller groups would encourage success....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm beginning to wish I'd done the same. Thing is, I *love* painting miniatures but cleaning, glueing and priming don't lend themselves to the zen state I achieve when painting lol

      Delete
    2. Never doubted it for a minute

      Delete
  2. Nearly forgot! Really lovely work Dave and i look forward to seeing the rest of the regiment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice looking feds! I am a firm believer in drips and drabs, and build my 24 man battalions in three groups of eight, sometimes having two groups running simultaneously in different stages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sense of mockery from primed-but-not-painted figures is aggravating...great work getting them going - as you say, now that the ball is rolling, the momentum should be easier to continue!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent looking Bluebellies. I think many of us can sympathize with your primed-but-I'm-not-ready block. I had to wean myself off 'Borderlands 3' before the Challenge so I know where you're coming from. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely looking group, hopefully you can get on with the rest easily, now that you've made a start.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely looking Union troops!I have whole units of partially painted troops!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete