Saturday 18 January 2020

From JohnS - V is for Viking - Curtgeld Entry (30 points)

I really had to think hard about what figure to paint for the Curtgeld. I mean, I have thousands to choose from but not everyone is building as many armies as I am and I wanted the Curtgeld to have a chance of some table time. So I spent a couple of hours frolicking down the aisles of the Room of Shame (think of the warehouse at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark) when I came across a Foundry Miniatures Viking Characters pack.
Now everyone likes Vikings so..


I liked this choice because he can be used as a Viking champion, an Anglo Dane hearthguard or a fantasy character from Thulsa Doom's gang (I mean, check out that historically inaccurate helmet).


I really like the pensive nature of this sculpt. You get the feeling that he has seen it all, is surprised by little and really has had enough of his opponent's crap and wishes he would just get on with the attacking already.


It's a little hard to see in this photo but I used 4 colours on his fur cloak to try and give the impression of a bearskin.
I have kept the basing deliberately simple so the recipient of the Curtgeld can add elements to tie in with any existing based figures. I have glued him to the base with PVA to make him easier to re-base if desired.

And my Alphabet Challenge is ticking along, a few letters done. (I know that there is Table lover or two out there...)


So 5 points for Pete the Pensive Viking and 25 generous bonus points for the Curtgeld entry. Thanks!

***
Well done John, I believe you are right on the "everyone loves Vikings" part, other than maybe thier victims.... but they are long dead, so you are technically correct!

All kidding aside, he looks great with his stoic stance and stare.  The metal work looks top notch as does the cloak, even if the photo looks to wash it out a bit (a common problem I suffer with as well), and I love the choice to go with blonde hair and beard.

I am sure someone will be very happy for the new house guest when he arrives at his new home.

- ByronM

10 comments:

  1. And to think that a few years ago, it was just another snake cult...
    ; )
    Very cool, and rocking the 'Wagnerischen Hörner' look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Splendid looking viking!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice brushwork on a great mini

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely work mate,looking forward to the next entry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work indeed, and very pensive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice mini and certainly one most of us could find a use for!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Everyone likes Vikings."
    Agreed! Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Two snakes coming together... Facing each other! But they're one"
    Dooooom......Dooooom

    Nice work mate

    ReplyDelete