Saturday 18 January 2020

From PaulSS - Andalusian Jinetes (65 points)


Todays entry is six Andalusian Jinetes from the Gripping Beast range to be added to my El Cid collection.

These fellows have been in the backlog so long they could easily have counted towards Hawkins Hill, but there is plenty of time and old lead for that. One of them is on the very old original Gripping Beast ponies, likely I could have entered that one for Millsy's Millpond.


I painted these in pairs over the last few days, and the 6" of snow we got yesterday evening meant that though my game was cancelled I did get these done ahead of schedule and have already started on some Berbers.




As with all these old Gripping Beast El Cid models they are a delight to paint and as luck would have it there are still a few left in the backlog of shame that I hope to get done over then next few days.


Six 28mm cavalry should net me 60pts towards my total.

***
I know I keep saying this but I love the clean painting style so many of you have.  While I turn out good results, I have a very sloppy back and forth style that provides a very different final result.

I am always so impressed when you guys come up with these awesome clean and bright looks where I can cleanly see that you started from black and never once screwed up and hit the black line dividers....  no idea how you all manage that.

These are simply lovely Paul, awesome work! I am very much jelous of your brushskills on these ones, especially the hand painted shields and patters, for which I am awarding you a bonus 5 points.

- ByronM

32 comments:

  1. Thanks for your kind comments Bryon.
    My old eyes cannot start from a black basecoat any more.
    I start these from a grey or light brown primer, block in the base-coats, wash with AP strong tone, re-paint the base-coats then do a couple of highlights then finish off by brown-lining with W&N inks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely looking jinettes - vibrant. Nice background too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you, Victoria gets all the credit for that background.

      Delete
  3. Fabulous looking jinettes Paul! I have a lot of Footsore castings, but no Gripping Beast - I may have to correct that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, they are a bit dated now but some lovely sculpts.

      Delete
    2. Dated I still think of this as a relatively new range. Guess I’m getting stale dated too!

      Delete
  4. Really nice work, Paul - very crisp and the colours work a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Andalusian army is looking really good. I have some severalof these Gripping Beast El Cid and Moors acquired in the late 90s waiting to be awakened. This might be the call needed

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous jinettes! Lovely finish!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely work Paul!!

    Always great to see more being added to your (massive!) collection.

    More please mate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Darryl, it does run to 8 really useful boxes now, so guessing at least 800 pieces as there are about 50 horse or 120 foot in each box.
      Some more Almoravids and Christian Spanish on deck at the moment.

      Delete
    2. 800!!! I feel slightly dizzy lol

      Delete
    3. You should try lifting them, all metals, none of this plastic stuff.
      Looks like they will be on the table soon, have booked a gaming space for a Battle of Sagrajas game on 15th Feb.

      Delete
  8. Very colourful, and great basing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent work Paul. I’m loving the El acid era figures on this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are fantastic Paul, very, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely gorgeous Paul! I'm always a little jealous of the speed with which you can churn out figures which still look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nick. Likely too much time spent painting when there are other things to do ;)

      Delete