Tuesday 7 January 2020

From MartinC Some Picts What I Did (300 Points)

Back at work, spent today teaching 8 year olds geology which was fun but very, very noisy. They went out for play time and all came back with loads of stones from the grounds.

So my painting will slow down now to normal pace and will focus on 10mm and 15mm so this could be my last paint bomb for a while, unless Miles and Noel go mental.

I have a very large Pict army for KoW, one of my favourite sets of rules and these will pretty much finish off, obviously like my 28mm ACW i will continue to grow it with 2nd hand stuff but approx 300 figs is about enough.

These were picked (picted!) up from the Battlefront show and are a mix of Newland (not great figs but very cheap and good for bulking out) and 2nd hand Black Tree and Gripping Beast.


Spearmen, the mainstay of any Pict army - Pict shield designs are impossible and so when I painted these they came out like dazzle camouflage. Which is interesting



Naked berserkers. These are supposed to have spears but I ran out of spears so they have axes. Picts don't really have berserkers but KoW is very flexible. As they are Picts tey must be tatooed but I find this difficult at 28mm scale - I find difficult at human scale - so it's mainly simple shapes and swirls

Slingers - again supposed to have spears but ran out so slings from bits box

Javelin men - Picts advance under a hail of javelins and i have lots of these

Finally nobles, standard and cow horn blowers

Overall it is 56 28mm figures = 280 pts plus any super generous bonus for standard and hand painted shields. That will bust my target so lets have a new one of 3000pts

Right off to find very tiny things to paint

__________________________

Wowzers, great entry Martin! These picts, like their shields, look absolutely dazzling (ahem)! 300 28mm figures is an impressive sized collection no matter what the period or rules. I especially like that great mob of spearmen, thought I imagine keeping them all ranked up might be a bit of a challenge. I've still not yet tried Kings of War, but really want to. How big is a standard sized unit in the game? Do you use sabots for movement? Is there model removal or can you use roster sheets? Questions, questions.
  
Hmm, I can just imagine those well-dressed nobles berating the naked berserkers, 'Hey you loons get some clothes on, or hit the woad.'

Mic drop.

Great work Professor Cooke!

-Curt

18 comments:

  1. Great looking picts, I'm working on a pile of them at the moment, you've managed a really good finish rapidly!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. cheers Curt, you jokes are worse than mine. KoW is a fun I Go You Go set with units taking casualties until they fail a morale test and rout. I use magnetic sabot bases with each base holding 10 figs. 1 base is a troop, 2 bases a regiment, 4 a legion and 8 a horde

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonkers , and more bonkers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. they need to hairy, think savage hipsters. Cheers

      Delete
  5. The Cook freight train rumbles onward. Great Picts Martin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, now onto 10mm, think painting run by Northern Rail, or any UK train company

      Delete
  6. Nice work, I have a load of Black Tree Picts buried under the lead mountain, may have to have a dig.
    It will certainly be quicker than ordering from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, yes Black Tree delivery times are legendary

      Delete
  7. Fantastic entry although I take offense at the term "mental" . Sure that term applies to Noel and his crazy shenanigans but I can say with some level of truthfulness that my submissions of abstract art are thoughtfully produces with mathematical precision. There will be no knee jerk reaction from me. No sir.

    Oh, since we're talking, I've got this lovely bridge in New York that you might like to buy. Since we're fellow Challenge-a-nistas, I'll cut you a good deal for cash. It's just the kind of guy I am...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. As for going mental, you have form good sir - although Noel does trump us both. I expect no knee jerk reaction, just a continual assault until you have ground me to dust.
      As for bridges we have 7 over the tyne of all varieties. If it is the Brooklyn then I would be interested, it is one of the 7 industrial wonders of the world and was completed by Emily Roebling, the wife of the engineer Washington Roebling, when he became ill with the bends from working in the caissons too long. It is one of the coolest engineering stories I know

      Delete