Tuesday 7 January 2020

from EvanH: Never Mind The Orruks... Sander's Sand Dunes (40 points)

Well, Challengers and Challenge Fans, it's been a long time between drinks!

Yes, I'm back at the paint bench again, ready to paint up a storm... no, I can't back that up. I'm painting at my usual measured pace, and if I get anywhere near my target it'll be the gods' own miracle. But hey, we gotta start somewhere!

So here to make landfall at Sander's Sand Dunes is another in my series of big Orc bosses (none of this 'Orruk' nonsense, I still paint ORCS!). The locals at this part of the shoreline of Challenge Island are quite partial to the colour red, so to show his friendly intentions, this chap has suited up.

Of course there are Skullz™. Lots of Skullz™.
This is GW's Orruk Megaboss. He was a gift from my young friend Patrick, and I promised him I'd paint him up for this year's Challenge. The base was sculpted from Milliput shaped over an expanded polystyrene core, and a good scattering of GW skulls was strewn about the resulting rocky outcrop (I'm going for the wind-blasted sandstone look).


The figure is a bit more complicated than the older-style GW plastics, but it's worth taking the time to get it right. He's a superbly menacing-looking chap.

Being a GW figure, he comes with a massive skull strapped to his person, and a bloody great chopper gripped in his mighty hand (oo-er!).

"Found it on Etsy."
The skin was worked up from MIG Olive Drab with the old Citadel Foundation colour Gretchin Green and some highlight tones added with a little Vallejo Khaki. The assorted bones were worked up from Vallejo Leather Brown through Khaki and GW Bleached Bone, with a final drybrushed highlight of white. 

Armour was basecoated with GW Mephiston Red, highlighted with the old GW Blood Red, and finishing with a light drybrush of Flaming Orange. All armour and leatherwork were given a generous wash with GW Agrax Earthshade to bring out the contrasts.

"I claim dis land for Gork!"
He's a big lad, coming in just short of 54mm, so I'm going to respectfully suggest 10 points, plus the appropriate bonus for landing at the right location wearing the right colour!

Where to next? I might book a trip by balloon to reach my next stop, or maybe I'll just trudge overland. Who knows? 

Stay tuned...

Ev

______________________________________________________

Aah good to have you back Ev! - i thought the red mind be the fires over Oz! - hes a great big lump of red loveliness - cracking - so thats 40 points to the good!


21 comments:

  1. Great looking figures Ev, great to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back Ev! Your megaboss looks terrific - I really like how you did the skull pauldron. Excellent stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say? It's a compulsion with GW sculptors!

      This big lad is now in the cabinet with my two other Orc bosses from previous Challenges, and they make a nice matched set. Thanks for the kind words!

      Delete
  3. Fine looking Orc Evan the red is really working.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher, I'm very pleased with how he turned out.
      : )

      Delete
  4. Nice job Ev! "Orruks" - what lawyer-induced puke nonsense. He is a fine looking ORC. While the whole "Age of Sigmar" just did not work for me, the sculpt here is interesting...this new Orc look certainly has a different and kind neat vibe to it, very different. The painting has more than done it justice, and the fine work on the skullz adds to the effect. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm similarly baffled by the IP issues, but dammit if this guy doesn't grow on me.

      As I've said, the build was a lot more involved than previous GW plastics, but it's avoided the whole 'solid across the hems' look that previous Orcs had. Thanks for the kind words!

      Delete
  5. Superb work on that fearsome Orc. The red armour has turned out nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a bit of a gamble, but it seems to have paid off!

      Delete
  6. It's alive! Figure good as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated! is the geological formation on the base up to scratch?
      ; )

      Delete
  7. Very impressive ORC Evan. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking orc and a suitably skull covered base.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely looking Orc! Nice work on the red and the skull is ace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a brilliantly posed figure and you've done a great job on it

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely Orc! A pox on their IP terms.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for all the positive feedback, folks, I'll have to pull something out of the hat for my Curtgeld next...!

    ReplyDelete