Tuesday 7 January 2020

This is not the Spanish Peninsular!? (70 points)

....And we're off! If the painting challenge was to be likened to a marathon I'm the guy at the back in a rhino costume, no running shoes, ill prepared and trying desperately not to throw up the fizzy energy drink I have just drunk two minutes prior to starting. I've seen the pro-athletes race off (in this analogy that's Miles, Noel and Martin) and hit the 1000 point mark, which is just mind blowing, but now it's time to relax and run my own race and focus on bagging some points.

  With that all said I coming ashore at Sander's Sand Dunes and boy is it busy!? Less secluded beach and more Ayia Napa, less row boat and more jet ski.....who knew red would be so popular? 

  My plan for this challenge is creating a British peninsular force for "Sharp Practice" and these 8 mark the first step. I'm painting them up as the 31st regiment of Foot, the "Young Buffs". They are Perry's 28mm plastics and they are very easy to paint, especially after the years of lessons learnt painting them (white primer, knapsacks glued on and painting in groups of 8).







Points wise I think it should come out at 70, 8 x 5 for the figures and 30 for Sander's Sand Dunes.

___________________________________

Haha! Welcome back to the Challenge Alex! I had to laugh about your marathon analogy, especially feeling a little overwhelmed what with the brush giants in full flow. As you say, we each have to run our own race. 

These redcoats look terrific!  Like you, I've painted a fair few of these chaps and always grind my teeth when I have to work around the cross belts and tunic lace. That being said, your work is beautifully crisp and clean. A veteran indeed. They also look very smart in their sabot base, all ready to volley away at some French. Wonderful stuff.

70 points will get you nicely on the roster. Now, wipe your chin, get out of your rhino costume and enjoy the next few months.

-Curt

15 comments:

  1. Welcome back, these are fantastic, sometimes it's about quality not quantity

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great brushwork Alex. They look excellent, fine results.

    At least with the Challenge, for the most part we are only racing against ourselves or our own targets. But as Curt notes, your marathon analogy is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice work Alex. I have long been tempted by the Peninsular conflict and these splendid chaps are making it harder to resist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, it was the new Perry's French box sets that forced this project on me. If I can these done and out of the way, I can get cracked on with the Frenchies

      Delete
  4. Alex - if I could paint as well as you do, I would go a lot slower. Those are some superb Brits!

    I make up for my lack of skill with quantity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miles, I'm still a bit envious of your massed armies though!

      Delete
  5. Very nice, clean brushwork. They look outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely work on these brits!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great! I love the Perry plastics and you’ve done a good job on the cross belts and lace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. very nice indeed, nice and crisp.

    ReplyDelete