Tuesday 7 January 2020

From MikeW - 8 x 17th Century Armoured Cossacks plus 3 x Polish Commanders (110 Points)

Unpainted but mostly constructed figures!
So at the risk of a close repeat of an earlier submission in this year's challenge - I have (maybe) completed my Pancerni units of Polish Armoured Cossacks, plus their commanding officers!



Finished unit of 8 Armoured Cossacks
So this batch of 8 x Pancerni are a mixture of models that I got from eBay in the last couple months, some are Wargames Foundry and others are (I believe) either Redoubt Miniatures or Assault Group minis. Anyway the Wargames Foundry figures are noticeably smaller than the others in the units...

Front on view of Pancerni unit
Mixing the figures together helps disguise some of that size difference - as does swapping horses and bases around to put slightly smaller figures on larger horses. But some do just look smaller - I'll live with that and explain it by saying that these may be young sons and siblings of older warriors in the unit! After all in the 17th Century you could end up in the army at 14 or 15 years old or even younger.

Close-up of the Pancerni Armoured Cossacks
Can't remember if I've talked about how I paint my horses, the method has developed over the past few years and whilst I make no claims for them to be masterpieces - I'm happy with the overall results.

Typically I paint mounted units in batches of 6 figures at a time, I undercoat the horse with white acrylic paint, allow to dry. Then about 4 or 5 of the horses are painted in various shades of brown with the option to do the remainder as either a black horse or a grey.

Black horses are initially painted in a slate grey colour, whilst 'greys' I paint in a mid or light grey.

I then paint on black manes, tails and fetlocks (hoof up to mid shin or 'knees') on each horse - except for greys.

Close up of Officer, Musician and Banner bearer
Potentially for 1 or 2 horses in each batch I will paint the tail & mane of a lighter brown horse in a sandy yellow colour for variety but still do the fetlocks in black.

For greys, I will dry brush the whole horse in light grey and then white - depending on exact tone I'm looking for and then will do the main and tail in a darker grey or white, according to choice.

For black horses, water down some black paint into a 'strong wash' and then paint over the slate grey - this will give a good tonal variance and shading over the horses' body.

When all dry I add white socks to the horses, most have some form of white hair around each hoof, even if a thin line, be sparing on this. I also add various sized 'blazes' to horses' heads, again most horses have some sort of 'blaze'.

If you do a large 'blaze' that extends to the horses' muzzle then you should dry brush the muzzle with flesh colour.

Another Pancerni Commander
Pancerni Commander, on horse
with arguably outdated armour!
Once all done use Army Painter washes or Dips to add shading and tone and shading to the horses.

Horses completed - then add the riders and they're done.

For the commanders I have two on smaller round bases and one on a large round base - you can guess where this is going - I have a total of 5 Pancerni 'Banners' (30 figures) that will be split 2 and 3 between the lesser commanders with the overall Pancerni commander on the large 'winged' horse.

Actually I now have 2 spare Pancerni figures, after doing this batch of eight, I can see my-self doing another 4 figures to give each commander 3 'banners' each!

Overall Pancerni Commander
Another view, note attempt at
leopard skin saddle cloth
On the tabletop opponents (and allies) can get confused as to which units are Pancerni and which are Winged Hussars (I now have 4 banners of these) - I like to add to that confusion by using the wings as a badge of rank for Polish commanders.

Given that no-one really knows how or why  the Winged Hussars used their wings, or how they were attached etc - I'm claiming that they represent a noble rank or office...


From DaveD - Ooh they are nice -so nice i feel a minion top up - 120 points it is!

12 comments:

  1. Nice work, Mike :)

    Just a quick note on horse colours. If a brown horse has a lighter tail and mane, it is going to be a chestnut and won't have the black on the lower legs; the mane and tail are usually not much lighter (if at all) than the coat colour and can be very slightly darker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good tip Tasmin! - I'm no expert on horse colours. I have been doing what looks good. Will try and include your pointers in future horses I paint!

      Delete
    2. There are some good guides to colours available online.

      For European stock, you'll probably have 60-70% as bays, 20-30% as chestnuts, then the remainder as blacks, greys (which includes a lot of white horses) and other oddities. The further east you go, you'll see more dun horses coming into the mix.

      Delete
  2. I’m loving this project of yours. These are great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking cossacks, Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO COOL! Wow, there are some really, really cool troops from that period. I bet this all looks cool as hell on the table top! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice looking unit and thanks for the horse painting tips - very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very eye-catching - great looking troops Mike

    ReplyDelete
  7. Splendid work. Mixing the figures is a good idea. Most people aren't the same height (or pose) in real life, so there is no reason not to have variety in our armies too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely looking cavalry! An army I'm tempted by and this isn't helping!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete