Sunday 12 January 2020

From MikeW - 'A Fit of Pique' at Pipers Peak - 1 x 28mm HYW Archer (35 Points)

My journey so far...
I came by this figure (and a second identical figure) as a freebie given away with entrance to Salute 2015. In actual fact I didn't attend the show but a friend of mine Mike N. from our club had been given a handful of them and passed a couple on to me.

Unmade Figure
Now I painted one of these almost immediately but cannot remember what happened to it, with the need to get something done for Piper's Peak the H.Y.W English Archer giving the two fingered salute to his French adversaries seemed to fit the bill of a 'fit of pique'!!

Now my hope is that I have made a legal move from Benito's Brook to Piper's Peak, there certainly appears to be a the between the two locations.

The figure is plastic and is of course from the Perry Miniatures stable, it assembled very easily and quickly and after an undercoat in white and a couple hours to dry was able to build-up the colour.

A busy workbench is a happy workbench!
So I have been asked how I can 'churn-out' so many figures, the answer is to have several projects on the go at any one time, that means when I do get some spare time I can always get straight in to a painting or modelling job and maximise my time to 'churn-out' figures.

It also helps having a workbench that can be left from day to day without having to pack away  items at the end of the day only to have to get them all out again - next time you have some hobby time.

So in the photo is a glimpse of my workbench, this figure in undercoated stage, next to some 28mm 1672 figures that I'm also working on, above and to left are some Ottoman Balkan infantry nearing completion and basing - so three Challenge items active at the same time! (ignore the 15mm M113s and Chaos Marines - they old and being renovated before dispatching for sale on eBay to fund new projects!)
Rear View
An Angry English Archer at Agincourt!
 This time I stared with the flesh then the leather jack, keeping to a muted mix of colours I did most of the archer in various browns with a splash of colour for his faded green undershirt and a red leather for his sword scabbard.
Livery Crest on display
Leggings rolled-up to keep out of the mud


A splash of colour on hi s left breast is a livery shield. Truth be told this was originally meant to be a red cross on a white background but I mad such a hash of the vertical red stripe it immediately took on the form of a white and red halvede shield! I added a black emblem and it became a nice livery sign.

This chap seems to be well armed, with sword and buckler as well as his bow an a dagger, if things get rough he has also got his hand axe.

Whole figure was washed in Army Painter Light Tone and then matt varnished before completing base.

POINTS
1 x 28mm Foot Figure = 5 Points
Piper's Peak Bonus = 30 Points
TOTAL 30 + 5 = 35 Points

From MilesR: That's a superb archer.  To be honest the painting quality and photos make it look like a 54mm figure rather than just a 28 - excellent work!

11 comments:

  1. Lovely figure Mike, like him a lot. I too have several projects on the go in various stages of completion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to say, fits the fit of pique perfectly.

      Delete
  2. That is an excellent bit of brushwork, Mike, and a terrific take on Piper's Peak. I'm very much with you on multiple projects on the go (I won't tell you the number because its a bit nuts). Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice looking archer ! I've got one of those somewhere (he mutters to himself as he starts assembling another figure, well into the challenge !)
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely work and a great entry for my island location :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice work indeed, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice V sign. Well done in the painting and punnery too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fine English gent giving his French rivals the traditional sportsmanlike salute. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very well done. I was at Salute 2015 and have this figure - still in the bag.

    ReplyDelete